Alpaca Discussion Forums
 9. General Alpaca Discussion
 Great Pyrenees
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

clerkmary

37 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2014 :  6:59:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are getting a 1.5 yr old female Great Pyrenees tomorrow evening. How do I introduce her to our 17 alpacas? She came from a goat farm and they told me she was a wonderful guard dog to them. But, they've went out of business and said she is just laying around now and needs a job guarding. I know my alpacas will be scared of her when they first see her.

Christiane

2830 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2014 :  8:47:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would make a pen for her next to the alpacas, so that they can get used to each other. In addition, I would first walk her among them on a lead to see how they and she react. Livestock guardian dogs are very different from other domestic type of dogs. I have had German Shepherds for close to 50 years, and they are so easy to train to do anything, but they are herding dogs, not livestock guardians and cannot be used as such. LSGs think on their own, and that is what they were bred to do, so no matter what you want them to do, they will do what they think is in the best interests of the herd they are protecting, whether that is sheep, goats, alpacas, chickens, ducks, or whatever. When my LSGs were young, they killed a couple of my Guineas because they did not think that they were part of what "belonged" here. I don't have that problem anymore, and the Guineas walk among them , just as my cats do. Any stray, whether that be a dog, cat, or other critter like a skunk, possum or raccoon, are dispatched without mercy. They don't eat them, just kill them and leave them. So far, this year, my Lsg's have dispatched two possums, a racoon and one stray cat. We have tons of coyotes around here, but they don't bother my animals because of the dogs. The deer are plentiful around here as well, but they don't get into my pastures. I also don't have to worry about any of my plants being eaten by the deer because my entire property, except in the woods behind my house, is fenced and the dogs patrol that. My German Shepherds have their own yard, and while they don't particularly like my Anatolian Shepherds, the Anatolians want to be friends with them. Should, however, a visitor bring a dog with them, they go ballistic. Nobody messes with my critters or my stuff, even though some of my neighbors have had things stolen from sheds, etc. The dogs are big enough to discourage anyone from trespassing

Christiane Rudolf
Tanglewood Farm
19741 Victory Lane
Fayetteville, Ohio 45118
(513) 875-2533
Go to Top of Page

clerkmary

37 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2014 :  11:56:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Christiane for all the good info. We have a lot right now between the girls and boys that we are going to put her in for a little while so she can see all them and they can see her. We are also going to walk her round them when she gets here tomorrow. Thanks again.
Go to Top of Page

sylvesterranch

41 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2014 :  7:48:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My suggestion is to keep them "separated" over a period of time with a fence between them, until they adjust to each other. I had a friend that purchased some Pyrs for her alpacas (and they had been with goats prior)...and the pyrs attacked the alpacas, having not know that species. Just be careful.......

Jeannie Sylvester
Sylvester Ranch Alpacas
Burleson, Texas
www.sylvesterranchalpacas.com
Go to Top of Page

Judith

4103 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2014 :  8:07:04 PM  Show Profile  Send Judith a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Your alpacas may also have something to say about it. While I know many, many alpaca breeders have had great success with LGDs, my herd wants nothing to do with dogs. I brought in a Great Pyr that I intended to run with my females and crias. She spent months living in a large pen adjacent to the girls' barnyard; we spent months walking her on lead among the herd in the pasture. They adamantly rejected every contact with her although they did relax in the barnyard as long as she was on the other side of the chainlink fence. On the couple of instances where she escaped and went into the pasture (exploring, not chasing the alpacas), the herd grouped together and the dominant females attacked her. After 18 months of trying to get them to adapt to one another, I gave up. I felt it wasn't fair to the dog for her to have to defend herself against the alpacas she was supposed to be guarding, so now she lives in my front yard and is a PGD (personal guard dog). She's much happier, the alpacas are happier and I don't have to worry about anybody getting too close to my windows so I can wear whatever I want - or don't.

Judith Korff
AlpacaNation Forum Co-Moderator
The Pastel Paca at LadySong Farm
Randolph, NY 14772
Cell: (716) 499-0383
www.alpacanation.com/ladysong.asp
Go to Top of Page

sylvesterranch

41 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2014 :  8:28:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Be very careful...and make sure you give your dogs and alpacas a chance to "adjust" to each other thru fencing first. I have a friend that bought 2 pyrs at a great price to protect her alpacas..........but previously the dogs had been with goats. When they were relocated to her farm.......they attacked a couple of the alpacas, not knowing that was what they were to be guarding. It takes a bit to "adjust" to different species, and make sure your does!!!

Jeannie Sylvester
Sylvester Ranch Alpacas
Burleson, Texas
Go to Top of Page

sylvesterranch

41 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2014 :  6:36:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL....ok, I'm a dork....I realized I responded to this topic TWICE. Not sure where my head has been lately. Oh, well....I hope it was helpful!!

Jeannie Sylvester
Sylvester Ranch Alpacas
Burleson, Texas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,867 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!