Alpaca Discussion Forums
 9. General Alpaca Discussion
 Fighting males
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

woodside

46 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2014 :  10:22:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have two males that an older woman gave me. She had all males just for their fiber, although they were not all gelded. The grey one is very nice and is registered and I plan to try him on my girls, but the unregistered white (who she said was gelded but after I got him I realized he wasn't!) I'll keep for his fabulous fiber. I have three grown females that were pregnant when the boys got here, but now two of them had their crias, and the boys are going crazy. It's amazing how they must sense that the females are about ready to breed again!This morning they had a terrible fight, and although I have limited space, I finally separated them. Would they be able to be together if I would get the white male gelded? Or would they still fight?
Thank-you!
Carolyn Martin
Woodside Alpacas

Judith

4103 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2014 :  11:43:00 AM  Show Profile  Send Judith a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Carolyn -- it may depend on a number of factors. How old is the white male now? The younger he is, the better chance that he will calm down. But gelding doesn't necessarily remove the breeding instinct, particularly if they're older and have bred in the past. Also, gelding one doesn't necessarily mean the other male will settle down and may still continue to pick on him. Two males will typically fight, although one will normally be the dominant male and the other more subservient. I've found the ideal number of males to keep together is 5-6. Normally there are enough males in that grouping to keep any single one of them from being picked on all the time. Also, things will probably calm down once the females are rebred and there are no open females to fight over. If fighting continues, you may want to move the males to a location where they can't see or interact with the females.

Judith Korff
AlpacaNation Forum Co-Moderator
The Pastel Paca at LadySong Farm
Randolph, NY 14772
Cell: (716) 499-0383
www.alpacanation.com/ladysong.asp
Go to Top of Page

woodside

46 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2014 :  7:20:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Judith. OK, I need to buy more males, I guess! Actually, my white boy is four or five years old, so it's likely useless to geld him, although he never was bred.
Carolyn
Go to Top of Page

tortkid43

598 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2014 :  11:04:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit tortkid43's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Judith is spot on with her suggestion that more males will help...I have 3 separate pastures with anywhere from 9 to 16 males in each one....Depending on age and temperament...! Now occasionally they still wrestle and voice their displeasure with one another and during some of these incidents it can get rather loud and boisterous ....Most times they are reaffirming the hierarchy in the group or perhaps a younger male is testing his strength against another one....Making sure that the fighting teeth are trimmed is paramount when so many males are together and if intervention is needed then I have found several tactics from merely walking towards the pen and calling on the males to settle down to spraying them with a water hose to make them forget what they are fighting about..

It is mostly trial and error until you find the right mix of males who have one alpha male and so on down the line...I love my boys but sometimes they make life interesting especially with so many Macho's trying to be the head honcho..! Wouldn't change a thing thou..!

Mike

Mike and Maggie Carabajal
Rancho De La Luz Alpacas
Elgin, Tx
www.alpacanation.com/ranchodelaluzalpacas.asp
Go to Top of Page

joeykatp

318 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2014 :  5:44:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit joeykatp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree with Mike. Check their fighting teeth as soon as possible, before someone gets hurt. However, I don't agree that gelding an older male won't help your situation. I had a 12 year old bossy llama gelded and it made a world of difference! Perhaps it depends on the male, but it may be worth a try.

Kathy Paternoster
Our Father's Farm
New Hampton, NY
(845)374-7712
http://ourfathersfarm.net
Go to Top of Page

woodside

46 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2014 :  9:52:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your replies, folks. Hmm...maybe geld him, maybe not. Yes, their fighting teeth are trimmed.
Carolyn
Woodside Alpacas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,897 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!