Alpaca Discussion Forums
 1. Alpacas 101: Getting Started
 Growling
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jrob

2 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2014 :  04:38:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haltered one of my wethers prior to trimming his nails when the smallest of my four boys got in my face and started growling at me. I sent him away but back he came growling and getting in my space. (For all the world as if he was defending his much larger pal). To get him away I had to put him in another paddock. As he is so small I found it funny but has anyone experienced this behaviour in their herds?
When I trimmed his nails 10 mins later I had no problem at all. He was his usual friendly self.

Judith

4103 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2014 :  06:52:08 AM  Show Profile  Send Judith a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The only time I've had any alpaca defend another has been with a couple of my dams who are exceptionally protective of their newborns. I've never had an alpaca growl at me. I know you said this boy is small, but I would be concerned if his "getting in your space" continued because as he grows, he could become more aggressive and more physical, which would not be funny. I think if he continues to behave like this, I would make it a practice of isolating him while you work on the others.

Judith Korff
AlpacaNation Forum Co-Moderator
The Pastel Paca at LadySong Farm
Randolph, NY 14772
Cell: (716) 499-0383
www.alpacanation.com/ladysong.asp
Go to Top of Page

renfarms

469 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2014 :  9:54:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit renfarms's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree with Judith. This boy may not be seeing you as "dominant" to him. As he ages, this could advance well beyond surprising/funny into downright dangerous.

I would recommend some halter and lead work, where you have him following you as you take him around for increasing lengths of time, making numerous turns & starting and stopping over & over to help reinforce in him a sense of deferring to you. Do not let him run ahead of you while on lead. Instead, if he attempts to pass by you, simply use firm but steady pressure on the lead to turn him in a circle to re-position him behind you. I would also make a point when in the barn or pasture with him to not let him "invade" your personal space, unless you invite him in close.

Be careful that you are not showing him too much affection. He may interpret that incorrectly, and someday take advantage of that to try and physically dominate you. The road to "beserk male" syndrome usually begins with well-intentioned, but overdone affection that is not properly balanced by a solid training regimen.

Best of luck!
Bill

Bill and Louise Goebel
Renaissance Farms
McArthur, Ohio 45651
(740) 596-1468
renfarms@starband.net
www.alpacanation.com/renaissancefarms.asp
Go to Top of Page

jrob

2 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2014 :  12:39:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your input. Kia is fully grown at 4 years. He is a small alpaca. He is treated the same as the other alpacas so that is why I posted my question
Go to Top of Page

bobvicki

2967 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2014 :  01:20:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These are very smart animals, and maybe your boy thought that he should have been 1st!

If he hasn't acted like that before you might just watch him and if he continues to act his normal self chalk it up to "One day a funny thing happened".

Bob

Bob & Vicki Blodgett
Suri Land Alpaca Ranch
10371 N 2210 Road
Clinton, Oklahoma 73601
641-831-3576
alpaca@htswireless.com
www.alpacanation.com/suriland.asp
Go to Top of Page

renfarms

469 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2014 :  11:46:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit renfarms's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jrob,
Thanks for the further details on the age, etc. of your male.
Knowing now that he is 4 years old, I agree with Bob that this is more likely a "one-off" incident. I thought you were discussing a juvenile.
Bill

Bill and Louise Goebel
Renaissance Farms
McArthur, Ohio 45651
(740) 596-1468
renfarms@starband.net
www.alpacanation.com/renaissancefarms.asp
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,926 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!