All Forums
 Alpaca Discussion Forums
 6. Farm Facilities & Equipment
 Pasture maintenance
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

joeykatp

318 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2014 :  10:59:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit joeykatp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello,
Over the years I've heard a lot of reasons why we should not use alpaca manure on the pastures. A vet even went so far as to say you can NEVER use land for pasture that has harbored po op piles because parasite eggs can last for years. Meanwhile, they poop in their pens daily and we don't pick it up immediately hour by hour. You can't stop them from grazing right next to these piles either, so what's all the hoopla about them getting reinfected from cured manure dribbled on the pastures where sunlight should do away with any emerging larvae anyway?
Do you use cured poop on your pastures for fertilizer?

Kathy Paternoster
Our Father's Farm
New Hampton, NY
(845)374-7712
http://ourfathersfarm.net

Christiane

2830 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2014 :  08:16:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where does the best grass in a pasture grow? Right outside the poop/pee ring, right? Wonder why?

Christiane Rudolf
Tanglewood Farm
19741 Victory Lane
Fayetteville, Ohio 45118
(513) 875-2533
Go to Top of Page

joeykatp

318 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2014 :  11:31:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit joeykatp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, I know their manure is fertilizer, but the parasites are present in the manure. They are specific to alpacas and they can last for years, I am told. Do you use it on your pastures?

Kathy Paternoster
Our Father's Farm
New Hampton, NY
(845)374-7712
Go to Top of Page

Christiane

2830 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2014 :  09:22:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have used mine for years without any problems. I do keep on top of cleaning out the barn spots every day and also clean the piles in the pastures.
That all goes onto a large pile that I let sit for a year, then use. Have never had any issued with that. However, I do keep track of weight on my alpacas monthly and also body score, so if I notice one loosing weight, I do a fecal. I also do deep bedding in the winter, while trying to scoop the worst of it, and then putting fresh straw on whatever remains. That way, when it gets very cold in the winter, they have something that will give them heat.

Christiane Rudolf
Tanglewood Farm
19741 Victory Lane
Fayetteville, Ohio 45118
(513) 875-2533
Go to Top of Page

tortkid43

598 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2014 :  1:09:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit tortkid43's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Same here I have spread out wheelbarrows full for over 8 yrs now all thruout my property...In fact I have used it as mulch around the 100 yr old Oak and Hickory trees which have helped them not only to survive but thrive in our historic drought...My alpacas free range in every section of our property and I have not had one issue with parasites....Actually I never do....but that is another story which I attribute to our feeding and water protocol ..

I would suspect it be dependent on your climate...soil type....Region....etc....etc....Moist warm environments with a clay soil or heavy humus pasture would promote and allow parasite to thrive for years....Especially if your blessed to live in a region where they are more prolific than others....As mentioned we don't have that problem...Despite being surrounded by large cattle ranches with abundant deer running around....I honestly cannot tell you the last time I had to worm anyone in my herd... Our soil is sandy and well drained...we have free roaming chickens and guineas which gobble up all kinds of nasties....

I am sure others on here who are much better looking and smarter will have an opinion as well dependent on their experiences..

Mike

Mike and Maggie Carabajal
Rancho De La Luz Alpacas
Elgin, Tx
www.alpacanation.com/ranchodelaluzalpacas.asp
Go to Top of Page

Christiane

2830 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2014 :  12:04:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I do have clay soil here and am trying to get it improved by adding the composted manure. However, during wet weather, I don't let my alpacas out on pastures. They stay in the dry lot area which I have created by using lots of gravel and then limestone sand on top. The dry lot is cleaned daily, as is the barn.

Christiane Rudolf
Tanglewood Farm
19741 Victory Lane
Fayetteville, Ohio 45118
(513) 875-2533
Go to Top of Page

joeykatp

318 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2014 :  6:03:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit joeykatp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your input. I should just go ahead a do it, then. I bought a spreader and a garden tractor to hook it up to.

Kathy Paternoster
Our Father's Farm
New Hampton, NY
(845)374-7712
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,900 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!