All Forums
 Alpaca Discussion Forums
 4. Breeding and Genetics
 Pick of the litter contract
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

5starshockwave

15 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2014 :  11:55:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit 5starshockwave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone,

In order to prove out my herdsire, I am considering the possibility of trading an x amount breedings to my herdsire in exchange for my pick of the litter. First, I have a few questions:

1. How many breedings would one exchange for the pick of the litter?
2. What happens if one of the crias is born stillborn or one of the females did not take? I would think I would need to wait for all of the crias to be born before I take my pick, but at that point it would be impractical.
3. I am currently looking for a good contract that explains as many of the "what if's" as possible...Is there anyone who would be willing to send me a sample contract for a breedings/pick of the litter trade?

Thank you for all of your help,
Emma.

Emma Tomlinson
Quinn Star Alpacas
616-608-6876
http://www.openherd.com/farms/4325/quinn-star-alpacas

nyala

3320 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2014 :  08:26:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit nyala's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi,

We did this years ago and it worked out well for us. We covered all the breedings for a small farm for a season with several males. We did not specify how many cria had to be born. There ended up being 6. We chose one of the six when weaning time came. We didn't specify how many cria there had to be. I don't think I'd specify an exact number but perhaps "at least". such and such a number of cria by weaning age. If there are less I'd make the fix that you would cover additional breedings the next season. When we did this female alpacas were selling for around 15k and breedings were $1500-2000 typically. Now things have changed price-wise so I'm not sure how that might impact on such a deal. Do you have a farm who is willing to do this? Do you have other males who could back up your guy if he isn't fertile?

Ann

D. Andrew Merriwether, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Anthropology and Biology, Binghamton University
and
Ann and Andy Merriwether
Nyala Farm Alpacas,Vestal, NY
www.alpacanation.com/nyalafarm.asp
Go to Top of Page

5starshockwave

15 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2014 :  10:02:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit 5starshockwave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello Ann,

Thanks for the info! I really like your way of dealing with quantity. Yes, I might have a farm interested, so I am working on figuring out contracts. No, I do not have any other males(I board at another farm), so I need to think about that one as well. Again, thanks for replying!

Thanks,
Emma
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,897 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!