All Forums
 Alpaca Discussion Forums
 9. General Alpaca Discussion
 Can gelded males be kept with females
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Michelle3

31 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2015 :  12:26:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michelle3's Homepage  Reply with Quote
On my property I have a really large field and a smaller paddock. I have to keep moving animals around so that they have equal time in the large field. If I just gelded the 5 males, could they go out with the 6 females (none are bred)? I thought about dividing the pasture, but they would be able to see each other and touch noses, so I decided against it. Right now there is no line of sight between the smaller paddock and the big field, which is ideal for keeping the boys and girls well apart.

Will gelding influence the fiber at all? Most of my males are 4-6 years old....is that too late to geld? Will gelding them reduce the fighting? (They actually fight less now that I put all the males together, and if I separate the one really naughty instigator, there is no fighting. ) Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Judith

4103 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2015 :  4:46:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Judith a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Gelding them may reduce their competitiveness and thus some of the fighting, but it will not necessarily diminish the urge to breed - they will simply be unable to impregnate. I would not keep gelded boys with your females. They will continue to mount and penetrate the females, causing infections and possible abortions of existing pregnancies. It used to be said that early gelding would keep the fiber fine for a longer period of time, but I believe that has been shown not to be the case. That said, it will reduce the stress in your male herd and hopefully decrease, if not eliminate, their inclination to fight.

Judith Korff
LadySong Farm
Randolph, NY 14772
Cell: (716) 499-0383
www.alpacanation.com/ladysong.asp
Go to Top of Page

Michelle3

31 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2015 :  10:31:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michelle3's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much for getting back to me so quickly! We often keep mares and geldings together (horses) so I was curious if it would carry over to alpacas. I will definitely follow your advice and continue to keep the male and female alpacas separate. :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,854 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!