Alpaca Discussion Forums
 9. General Alpaca Discussion
 Female w/1 older gelding?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MorganL

46 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2015 :  10:10:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Similar to the other post but slightly different scenario, wasn't sure if the response might be different...

We unexpectedly lost one of our two boys on Friday. No idea what happened, they are fiber pets but it's still sad. Naturally, his buddy is bummed (which is the hardest part of it for us) and we are trying to figure out what to do - obviously options are: rehome him or get another. The one that remains is 7 years old and gelded, never bred. If we were to get another, we thought it would be another gelding, similar age, but someone at a local farm said they'd be happy to give us a non-breeding female. They said the female would be a better option, more mellow, especially since we have a toddler.

Any insight on this set-up? Again, they are fiber pets only and we don't breed (nor plan on it). Are females typically more mellow than males?

Thank you,
Morgan

Morgan
Alpaca owner for 4 years now - in Vermont

ard

1844 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2015 :  12:16:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A non-breeding female would be a nice option, especially if the male was not bred before gelding. There is always a chance that they won't get along, but you take that chance with any animal. I would ask the female owners what your options might be if they don't get along and see what happens. I think your boy will be so happy to see another alpaca, he won't care, but if he starts to mount her often, that can lead to infection for the female. Good luck and sorry to hear about your other boy.

Robin Alpert
Alpacas 'R Diamonds
15163 W 323rd
Paola, KS 66071
913-849-3738
www.alpacanation.com/alpacasrdiamonds.asp
Go to Top of Page

MorganL

46 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2015 :  1:25:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is true. I will be sure to ask if we can do it on a trial run. I imagine he'd be pretty psyched too... he was trying to make friends with our dog the other day... highly unusual for him (and heartbreaking for us).

Much appreciate the insight and thanks for the kid words,
Morgan

Morgan
Alpaca owner for 4 years now - in Vermont
Go to Top of Page

tortkid43

598 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2015 :  8:20:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit tortkid43's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If it was me I would just get some fiber males...You can find packages at very reasonable prices nowadays..and I would add at least 2 more...I've found they are happiest when there is a tie-breaker in the group in case they have to vote on who is the biggest baddest one of the group..!
Putting a female in the mix is just asking for trouble....Even if he is gelded he will try to breed her and your going to have some hefty Vet bills paying for the infections that will result..

Mike

Mike and Maggie Carabajal
Rancho De La Luz Alpacas
Elgin, Tx
www.alpacanation.com/ranchodelaluzalpacas.asp
Go to Top of Page

Judith

4103 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2015 :  07:16:41 AM  Show Profile  Send Judith a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Mike is right; adding a female is a recipe for problems, even though your remaining boy is gelded and has never bred. Gelding only removes the ability to impregnate, not the desire to breed, although it may temper the hormonal drive to some extent. I'd go with fiber boy(s) and yes, there are many great buys available and even free fiber animals (although those come with the caveat that they may have health, temperament or quality problems).

J

Judith Korff
LadySong Farm
Randolph, NY 14772
Cell: (716) 499-0383
www.alpacanation.com/ladysong.asp
Go to Top of Page

MorganL

46 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2015 :  09:14:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very true. And lord knows, we don't need more vet bills!

Thanks for the info,
Morgan

Morgan
Alpaca owner for 5 years now - in Vermont
Go to Top of Page

Christiane

2830 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2015 :  3:43:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also don't think a female would be a good idea, for the same reason that Judith stated. . In addition, I find males much easier to deal with than females. It is so much easier to give my males their monthly shots than the sometimes cranky females. However, I do have a female who is the friendliest on the farm, and always loves to have visitors scratch her neck, and even--God forbid--her topknot, but that is not the norm.

Christiane Rudolf
Tanglewood Farm
19741 Victory Lane
Fayetteville, Ohio 45118
(513) 875-2533
Go to Top of Page

tortkid43

598 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2015 :  12:18:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit tortkid43's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree with Christiane who agreed with Judith who agreed with Mike who agees with everyone ...Amazing how much we can agree on sometimes....! Dontcha agree...?

Mike and Maggie Carabajal
Rancho De La Luz Alpacas
Elgin, Tx
www.alpacanation.com/ranchodelaluzalpacas.asp
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,882 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!