Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Alpaca Discussion Forums
 9. General Alpaca Discussion
 Will pacas eat evergreen saplings in the pasture?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Braeside

2 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2015 :  1:01:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Braeside's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We're thinking about planting several dozen Arizona Cypress or Blue Cypress sapling evergreen trees around the inner perimeter of our pastures this fall or next spring. If we do, are we looking at a lost cause as the alpacas would nibble/eat/destroy them, or is that not the kind of plants they're interested in? Our hope obviously is they leave them alone to grow, eventually for a nice privacy screen one day around their acreage. Thanks!

Braeside Alpacas
Argyle , Texas

Judith

4103 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2015 :  5:57:51 PM  Show Profile  Send Judith a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately, alpacas are browsers, so there are few plants they aren't "interested in." They do tend to leave most toxic plants alone, although there have been deaths reported from some injudicious snacking on things like rhododendren or azalea. However, I wouldn't put anything close enough to their fencing that they can reach it (and believe me, personal experience tells me they can reach a whole lotta stuff!).

Judith Korff
LadySong Farm
Randolph, NY 14772
Cell: (716) 499-0383
www.alpacanation.com/ladysong.asp
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,897 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!