All Forums
 Alpaca Discussion Forums
 3. Birthing & Neonatal Care
 Cria Diarrhea
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Cooksey

63 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2018 :  10:35:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Cooksey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
4-5 day old cria. We have fescue pasture so momma's milk is slow to come in and am bottle feeding. Cria is strong.

Started on Goat Colostrum pwdr in the bottle and doses of Multi-species colostrum gel. Also added in a few tsp of powdered lifeline for blood serum antibodies. After 24 hours switched formula to Lamb Milk Replacer with Opti Gut.

First bowels notices are light yellowish and liquid squirts.

Added kaopectate to next set of bottles, 1 tablespoon across 2 feedings. Yesterday stool started firming up but thin like pencil lead. Today Stool (no kao yesterday) is finger size but still all one long piece, no signs of pellets and color is still a pale yellowish. Added 2 tsp to todays bottle (2 feedings).

Dam had no milk day one when stripping teats, no plugs, not bagged. Cria attempts nursing regularly. I have to catch the dam and check her again.

Cria is taking 6 or more ounces per feeding. She takes at least 32 oz a day to maybe 40 oz and is about a 16 lb cria. Maybe she is just slow to populate.

So, ideas, suggestions? I am going to put another set of lifeline (blue box) through her to increase (blood serum live antibodies) immunity.

Don't know how to pull blood or do IgGs....my vet doesn't come this far out and keeps referring me to non alpaca vets on weekends that refuse care.

Imaginary Alpaca Ranch
Clyde, OH 43410
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,863 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!