Alpaca Discussion Forums
 9. General Alpaca Discussion
 Advice needed -- Rehoming my 3 Alpacas
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jaydeb

35 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2019 :  10:35:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After 11 years of enjoying & caring for my 3 boys, I've decided to try and find them as good a home as I've provided to allow them to live out their lives together with a nice quality of life. They're about 12 years old, give or take.

It's been a hard decision. I am very attached to them but I'm getting up in age and if something were to happen to me, they would be in a heap of trouble because I have no support system to take care of them, to include Vet assistance. My family doesn't want them.

I'm in San Antonio, TX and have found a wonderful couple with about 5 usable acres up in Abilene (some 200 miles away) who have agreed to take all 3 in. One of my stipulations was they couldn't be separated.

The new home would have other critters. A few Llamas, sheep, goats, two baby alpacas, horses, chickens, and a couple of dogs. Their facilities are great and there's even a Vet knowledgeable in Camelids close-by that they utilize.

Here's where I need your input. Do you think my alpacas would be able to adjust well with the new home and all the critters that live there, given the fact, that they have lived with me and are only familiar with dogs and cats. The couple told me they would isolate them for a few weeks to get everyone familiar with each other before letting them out within the critter crowd.

In addition, they've never traveled anywhere so making the move in a trailer might cause them great anxiety.

I guess I'm looking for advice if this new home may be too "busy" for them to adjust or, perhaps, it would be just what they need in terms of stimulation and the herd mentality.

Appreciate all responses why I should or shouldn't consider this couple and their accommodations. I know I sound a little out-of-sorts but this is really hard for me in so many ways.

Thank you in advance for your understanding and help.

Jg

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,928 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!