All Forums
 Alpaca Discussion Forums
 2. Alpaca Healthcare & Nutrition
 Ticks!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pinkertondan

626 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  12:29:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit pinkertondan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Ya'll just wanted to warn you all living in Idaho...tick season has begun!!! We found our first tick today on a cria. It was regular as to size. Make sure you are watching out for your alpaca!!! It takes 1 tick to kill them. They die within 3 days. Sooo BEWARE!!!
Sarah

Sarah Pinkerton
Rockford Bay Ranch
http://rockfordbayalpacas.com

Pepperina

777 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  01:44:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Pepperina's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How is the cria doing? What do the vets treat them with?

We use dog tick collars on our cria in tick season. Might be worth a try.

Regards
Barbara
Go to Top of Page

Jessie Schmoker

794 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  08:54:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jessie Schmoker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Our tick season has begun as well here in Wisconsin. Oddly, we seldom find ticks on the alpacas. I don't know if that's because their pasture grass is shorter than the longer grass ticks hide in, or what. This probably sounds ignorant coming from someone who has had alpacas for six years, but are ticks a larger danger to alpacas than other animals? What is it about the ticks that will kill an alpaca? We daily go over our dogs and cats after they've been outside to take off any ticks they have, and I know there are cases where a tick bite it the wrong place can cause sickness or even death, as can a tick infestation that isn't taken care of. But it sounds as though alpacas are even more vulnerable to tick bites than other animals. And are crias more susceptible to death from a tick than an adult alpaca?

Jessie Schmoker
Alpacas of St. Croix Valley
Somerset, WI
Go to Top of Page

mythic

888 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  10:23:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit mythic's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I had never found ticks on our alpacas before, but in shearing over the weekend, I found 4 ticks on 3 out of 26 alpacas. All were in the front "armpit" area. One was in the non-fleeced area but three were found a few inches into the fleece. Checking the non-fleeced areas is one thing, but once the fleece starts growing back, I don't know how I'd ever find a tick in there!

Ryan

Ryan & Joanna Maas
Mythic Alpacas
Goode, VA
Go to Top of Page

pinkertondan

626 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  10:32:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit pinkertondan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi,
Thanks for the feed back.
The cria is doing pretty well.

We had a TERRIBLE season last year and lost one, and almost lost another one as well.

We use Ivermectin, recommended by the vet. Which you can easily inject your self. Though please check with your vet to see what she would recommend and in what quantity.

We use for the males cow tick ear tags around their neck on a plastic chain.

I think alpacas are especially prone to alpacas. Though they can hurt anyone/animal.

Ticks carry a poison, I can't remember what it is for sure right now though. It takes one tick and 3 days before they are dead.

No crias are not more susceptible to the ticks. The one that died last year was a beautiful pregnant maiden. And the one that almost died last year (the only thing that saved her was WSU Animal Hospital) was 8. It really doesn't matter how young, old, weak, or strong, they are.
Hope this helps.
Sarah

Sarah Pinkerton
Rockford Bay Ranch
http://rockfordbayalpacas.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,760 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!