All Forums
 Alpaca Discussion Forums
 2. Alpaca Healthcare & Nutrition
 Custom feed mills
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

stardustalpacas

512 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  10:38:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit stardustalpacas's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

Can you guys give the names of custom feed mills in your areas that are reputable? I have looked on the internet for feed mills but there is such a limited amount that actually have websites to look at.

What I am looking for is names, city/state, address/phone number, web address if they have one.

Thanks!

Stephanie Zeleny
Stardust Alpacas
Creswell, OR
stardustalpacas@yahoo.com
http://homepage.mac.com/stardustalpacas/

pinkertondan

626 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  1:19:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit pinkertondan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When you say 'custom feed mill', what are you exactly meaning???

Sarah

The Pinkerton Tribe
Rockford Bay Ranch
14701 S. Heritage Dr.
Coeur d'Alene, ID 83814
www.rockfordbayalpacas.com
www.alpacanation.com/rockfordbay.asp
info@rockfordbayalpacas.com
(208)769-9999
Email me! I would love
to hear from you!
Go to Top of Page

stardustalpacas

512 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  12:39:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit stardustalpacas's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A custom mill is a locally owned mill (not associated with national mills like Land O Lakes) that may/may not have an organic certification, but will make feed according to the client's specifications.

I am looking to get in touch with mills all over the country. There are very few that come up on the internet. There is no way that I can research from my location alone! Please help! Reputable mills!

Thanks,

Stephanie

Stephanie Zeleny
Stardust Alpacas
Creswell, OR
Go to Top of Page

Christiane

2830 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  08:23:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Heather,

I will be stopping by my mill later on this morning and will get them to give me their web address etc.. I will send it to you when I get it.

Christiane Rudolf
Tanglewood Farm
19741 Victory Lane
Fayetteville, Ohio 45118
(513) 875-3739
Go to Top of Page

stardustalpacas

512 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  11:41:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit stardustalpacas's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Christiane,

Its Stephanie not Heather! :D I am keeping track of this, syou you can send it to me. Thanks!

Stephanie Zeleny
Stardust Alpacas
Creswell, OR

Edited by - stardustalpacas on 07/12/2007 11:43:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

LazyE

90 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  11:49:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would ya'll mind sharing the info with me as well? We are currently feeding Muzuri(only thing easily available) and I would be very interested in getting custom milled feed.

I know that most milling places like bigger orders...and big orders usually are cheaper per pound then little orders...Have any of the smaller farms tried to go in together on some of these? I would really be interested in doing that. As of right now we are only going through 3-4 bags a month, but that will go up as we start having cria and expanding.

Shana Elliott
Lazy E Alpaca Farm (LEAF)
Jefferson, Texas
903-738-3165
Go to Top of Page

stardustalpacas

512 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  12:29:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit stardustalpacas's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Shana,

I would be asking that name of a custom mill in your area. It may be in your phone book. Most areas have mills local to them that do custom milling. A LOT of research goes in to making a good pellet for alpacas, so if you were going to undertake this task, you would need to find a livestock nutritionist and camelid veterinarians to formulate the pellet for you. You are right that they require large batches of feed to be produced. Usually it is 1 ton at a time, or more depending on the mill you are dealing with.

With custom mills, you cannot ask to purchase someone else's blend. The mill, unless they have their own formulation that they sell, cannot give the info out on other people's formulas unless you were planning to purchase the feed directly from the person who had it commissioned.

There is all sorts of junk that goes into animal feed. Distiller's grain, corn, soybean hulls, urea (chicken manure), wheat middlings, etc. None of these are good for your alpacas diet. Try to find (or create your own) feed without these items and the heath of your animals will improve substantially, as will the fiber quality.

Any mill names would be great to add to my list.

Thanks,

Stephanie

Stephanie Zeleny
Stardust Alpacas
Creswell, OR

Edited by - stardustalpacas on 07/16/2007 6:23:38 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,761 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!