Alpaca Discussion Forums
 Breeder's Social (Off-topic)
 sometimes I really envy Rick,BUT...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DarleneG

649 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2008 :  8:11:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hideeho everyone! Yea, I"m really getting sick of snow! Doin' some California dreamin! Yes,Rick, I do sometimes envy you,but here is something you can envy ME for! Anyone who has enjoyed a pronking in the deep snow can testify! Alpacas bounding through the snow flat out with the snow spray flying everywhere! A few of our girls did it this morning and it was a thing of beauty! I wanted to film it in slo-mo to the tune of Vangelis "Chariots of Fire" but my utter ignorance of modern technology prevents me from doing that. If anyone else wants to film theirs to "Chariots of Fire" pronkin' in the snow slo-mo, fine with me, but please post it on AN forum. Rick won't be able to do this unless he uses some of that Hollywood special effects -Ed Geiser

Earthcare Suri Alpacas
Darlene & Ed Geiser
146 N. Honey Lake Rd.
Burlington, WI 53105
262-534-4091
earthcare@wi.rr.com

Paradise

922 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2008 :  10:12:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Paradise's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Gosh, I had to hose bellies here today because it was so hot! The fun part was seeing my new herdsire, who recently arrived from Ohio, dance on his tippitoes in the spray! Could have filmed him and added some ballet music. Might not have done much for his macho reputation though!

Laura Hillman
Paradise Alpacas
Hempstead, TX
979-826-9559
www.alpacanation.com/paradisealpacasoftx.asp
Go to Top of Page

allamericanalpacas

4245 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2008 :  12:06:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Ed,
It ain't all fun and games here ya know. I had to halter train Paris Hilton in 85 degree weather today. Mister Toad's wild ride! No, not that Paris Hilton, the alpaca.
Got slimed during spit testing. Last week, we even had rain. Yep, it's tough here in Socal, not for the faint at heart.
It's tough here, but I'll deal with it so you don't have to
Chariots of fire? I like it, and I do have the technology!

Rick
--
Rick & Pati Horn
All American Alpacas
35215 Avenida Maņana
Murrieta, Ca. 92563
alpacanation.com/aaalpacas.asp
http://aaalpacas.com/updates.html
Go to Top of Page

JimJams

192 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2008 :  03:16:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I resent anyone who has that thing called....called..... now what was it? oh yeah!!! Sun! and Warmth!! and dryness!

Mind you, we didnt even get any snow either, just rain, rain and more rain and flooding and then 0 temperatures that didnt freeze anything just because there is too much water and were are waterlogged and squelchy. Roll on summer!! We might even see the sun! Or maybe im just going to emigrate.
Go to Top of Page

DarleneG

649 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  3:23:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Rick! I'd like to see the REAL Paris Hilton haltered(the kind that goes over the face and neck.) Good thing you specified Paris Hilton the alpaca took you on Mr Toads Wild Ride,otherwise Patti would be real upset!!!-Ed Geiser

Earthcare Suri Alpacas
Darlene & Ed Geiser
146 N. Honey Lake Rd.
Burlington, WI 53105
262-534-4091
earthcare@wi.rr.com
Go to Top of Page

bobvicki

2967 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  10:33:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't remember the last time I saw my ground under the snow! Used to be we would get snow, then a few warm days to melt most of it.

Bob

Bob & Vicki Blodgett
Suri Land Alpaca Ranch
3288 Halter Avenue
Newton, Iowa 50208
641-831-3576
alpaca@iowatelecom.net
www.alpacanation.com/suriland.asp
Go to Top of Page

colson

160 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  11:04:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

How about Rick visit us in the upper Midwest. It sounds like he needs a vacation from his "Nasty weather"

Carrie

Go to Top of Page

allamericanalpacas

4245 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  12:14:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I woke up this morning thinking I just might head up there for a while.
Of course, after I had my first cup of coffee, I came to my senses.
It's bad enough here, we won't get back up to the 70's until Saturday. Brrrrr!

Rick
--
Rick & Pati Horn
All American Alpacas
35215 Avenida Maņana
Murrieta, Ca. 92563
Go to Top of Page

MH9022

58 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  08:05:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sometimes I envy Rick, BUT..... someday California will fall off the end of the continent.
Marcia Fish
Hoyt, KS
Alpacas at Orchard Hill Farm
fish@holtonks.net
Go to Top of Page

bobvicki

2967 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  09:37:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well it was up to 33 degrees this morning with no wind and the kids were wearing shorts and tee-shirts to school and having snowball fights.

Bob

Bob & Vicki Blodgett
Suri Land Alpaca Ranch
3288 Halter Avenue
Newton, Iowa 50208
641-831-3576
alpaca@iowatelecom.net
www.alpacanation.com/suriland.asp
Go to Top of Page

cyburham

539 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  11:18:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit cyburham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is the worst winter I can remember in a very long time. The snow & cold just won't go away. Last night it took hubby 5 hours to drive 38 miles home from work. 3 schools in the area had to have the children spend the night at school because of the snow. Many schools are closed today and others delayed start times by 2-3 hours for bussing. I have a tiny Shih Tzu dog about 4 lbs. She is too small to jump on a couch or bed but when we let her outside to potty now she can walk right over the top of our courtyard fence. The Alpaca's have spent more time in the barn and everything is frozen solid. It's been nearly impossible to clean up after them for the last month. What a mess we are going to have when it melts.

Cindy Burningham
Mountain Top Alpacas
7586 West Mountain Top Road
Herriman,Utah 84096
801 254-5627
cyburham@comcast.net
www.mountaintopalpacas.com
http://www.alpacanation.com/mountaintop.asp

Go to Top of Page

richbye

750 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2008 :  6:42:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit richbye's Homepage  Send richbye a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well here in western Ny we have a sayin' "If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes....it'll change". And ain't that the truth!
One day a solid blizzard, the next day raining, the next day 55 and sunny, the following back to blizzard. UGH! Our blasted weather can't make up its mind! Right now, freezing rain.

I went out to clean up the barn this morning. Couldn't get the wheelbarrow through the snow drifts. So, I plow it nice and clean like. I go back out to dump the thing, and there's freezing rain, changing the previously plowed area into an ice rink. It ain't easy pushing a wheelbarrow on an ice rink . Factor in the wind and the fact that I'm all of about 4'11" and 110 pounds and you have a sight to see

Last year we had more snow for Easter than we did for Christmas. Also, our summers the past 3 years have been hotter than average with no rain. But, I guess that's better than earthquakes, tornados, dust storms with severe droughts, wild fires, and hurricanes. Now, if only people who have lived here more than a year could POSSIBLY learn how to drive in the snow?!

Jeanne

ps. I don't envy Rick. At least most of NY will still be here when the oceans go up and take over CA.

Gemstone Alpacas, Inc.
11300 Savage Rd.
Chaffee, NY 14030
(716) 868-0883
http://www.alpacanation.com/gemstonealpacas.asp

Go to Top of Page

llamapelli

1401 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2008 :  9:57:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit llamapelli's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Now, if only people who have lived here more than a year could POSSIBLY learn how to drive in the snow?!

See, we have just the opposite problem here. The locals have no idea how to drive in snow. I have a theory about the people of SW Pennsylvania extending down into WV. Not only do they have a genetic need to smoke (I'm thinking genetic selection due to steel mills and coal mines), but for some reason have a predisposition to tailgate. I first bagan to study the genetics of tailgating while in Pittsburgh for my residency. I found the longer someone's ancestry was from Pittsburgh, the slower they were willing to drive in order to tailgate (I also found I could get to work very quickly in snowy weather just by driving in the left lane where the tailgaters would not go). The West Virginians also tailgate, but without the decrease in speed, so I'm thinking there may be a second gene involved in the slowing that has not been selected for in WV.

It is so funny how folks here think we didn't have winter in NM ("how will you deal?"). Not only did we have winter, they seemed to be much more normal winter-wise as what we are having here. It was in the mid-50's today! Snow and freezing rain (also known by that cutesy euphamism "wintery mix") by Tuesday. Yahoo!!

PS, OK, I will admit the weather in NM was not perfect. When I left there was a huge grass fire being fed by the high winds and drought just south of my house.

Melanie McMurry
Anasazi Alpacas & Kokopelli Llamas
Gladesville, WV
304-864-5210
Go to Top of Page

Alpacalady

685 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2008 :  8:36:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alpacalady's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Here in Maine it has been a lovely winter so far! We've only had about 12' of snow and the coldest morning was only -24F. Since heating oil prices are low here, only about $3.80 a gallon, nobody's complaining.

I don't envy Rick in the slightest.........that California sunshine can't be all that great!

Laila

Graceland Alpaca Farm
Lisbon Falls, Maine
gracelandfarms@verizon.net
207-353-2171
Go to Top of Page

llamapelli

1401 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  10:26:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit llamapelli's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Last night, after the lunar eclipse, it was insanely bright out. The snow was all lit up, the moon was shinig brightly, and the alpacas were walking, jumping and pronking all over the place. I guess they were just so happy that the weird darkness went away. It was absolutely beautiful. Beat that, Rick!!

(We just won't discuss how absolutely bloody cold it was )

Melanie McMurry
Anasazi Alpacas & Kokopelli Llamas
Gladesville, WV
304-864-5210
Go to Top of Page

allamericanalpacas

4245 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2008 :  01:06:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had clouds today, highs only in the 60's, and the patio is damp from the bucket of drizzle we had today.
The windshield on my truck is kinda sorta dirty. I'll have to run my windshield washers at least twice tomorrow.
It's tough, but I do put up with it
(Hot tip: Don't put "Rick" in the subject line of a topic)

Rick
--
Rick & Pati Horn
All American Alpacas
35215 Avenida Maņana
Murrieta, Ca. 92563
Go to Top of Page

mythic

888 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2008 :  03:39:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit mythic's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm sure it sucks to be Rick, but I wouldn't give up my rough central VA life for just a minute of Hermosa Beach with my sister! (No offense Jill!)

Ryan

Ryan & Joanna Maas
Mythic Alpacas
Goode, VA
Go to Top of Page

cwissler

196 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2008 :  10:54:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit cwissler's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just went outside and it is snowing and really there is nothing more beautiful than silver, black, and brown alpacas pronking against the back drop of white. The alpacas seem so happy and playful and delighted with their world. It's contagious that feeling of happiness. Like someone we all love says, "Life is good"

Wissler Alpaca Farm
Warrenton, MO just west of St. Louis
www.alpacanation.com/wisslerfarm.asp
www.alpacalove.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,856 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!