3. Birthing & Neonatal Care
 Naming Crias
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Shadowberry

165 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2008 :  09:17:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shadowberry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Our first cria is due in a couple of weeks. I'm wondering if most of you name your crias according to some theme, or do you select names at random? I would think that having a "system" would help narrow down the choice of names.

Just curious.

Nancy

Shadowberry Farm Alpacas
Tom and Nancy Imphong
Carlisle, PA 17015
717-795-8034
shadowberry@verizon.net

nyala

3320 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2008 :  10:42:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit nyala's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi,

We usually come up with lists and lists of possibilities and debate them endlessly and then see the cria and name them something that wasn't even on the list. My husband and I have huge arguments ooops I mean discussions about it. We never like each others name choices. We take turns picking but retain the name veto. One year he named one Fawn Connery but his other choices were even worse. We have not gone with themes although lots of farms do. We have friends that pick a theme for each years crop of crias. One year their theme was the word "peace" and they named each cria the word for peace in different languages. Some other friends of ours were doing pirates for awhile. Some farm pick names that go with their farm names.

I think naming cria is fun and we really look forward to it.

Ann

D. Andrew Merriwether, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Anthropology and Biology, Binghamton University
and
Ann and Andy Merriwether
Nyala Farm Alpacas,Vestal, NY
www.alpacanation.com/nyalafarm.asp
Go to Top of Page

jillmcm

3204 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2008 :  10:42:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit jillmcm's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Our crias will generally get names from Tolkien's mythology, like our girl Isilmë (our farm is named for Bilbo Baggins' home). But our first cria arrived premature and needing veterinary intervention on Labor Day last year, so his name was almost inevitable - Doc Holliday!

Jill McElderry-Maxwell
Bag End Suri Alpacas of Maine - ¡BESAME!
Benton, ME
(207) 453-0109
http://www.alpacanation.com/bagendsuri.asp
Go to Top of Page

Silver Thunder

126 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2008 :  11:04:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Silver Thunder's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We usually use the name of the sire. We have a boy who was born on a stormy day who's sire was named Thunder and we named him Thunder's Rumble. We also have a Noble Night son named Quest of the Noble Night. We also write hundreds of names down and sometimes when we see the cria use a name that was not on the list.

Nancy

Chuck and Nancy LaBresh
Silver Thunder Alpacas
Greeneville, Tennessee
http://silverthunder.com
silverthunder@adelphia.net
(423) 620-0422 / (423) 620-0421
Go to Top of Page

richbye

750 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2008 :  11:34:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit richbye's Homepage  Send richbye a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
We name based on our farm "theme"....Gemstones. I have a few technical books about stones and rocks. I have used names of famous gemstones (like Espirito, the name of a famous aquamarine), used other language versions of a stone (such as Adamas, Greek for diamond), or simply have taken a variation of a name (such as Toury, short for tourmaline). If they weren't born on our farm (purchased), then they usually don't have a Gemstone name. Rarely we luck out and happen to buy one with a gemstone name.

I have a nice list of male and female names, and haven't gotten through half of it yet. Still a long time to get to the end of that list!

I have named all of the cria so far, with the exception of one (hubby named Carrara, our "rainbow" boy....chosen after the name of famous marble in Italy). If you saw Carrara, you would know why we named him after marble My m-i-l keeps trying to stick her 2 cents in (along with the rest of the family). I tell them, "Once you are out here every day, taking care of them, then you can name one". That ain't gonna happen any time soon My daughter has "helped" me pick out a name. She keeps wanting to name one like "Bob" or "Tom". I think "Alpaca Bob" is already taken though

I know one farm that names their cria after operas, another after Star Trek (through the generations).

Have fun!

Jeanne

Gemstone Alpacas, Inc.
11300 Savage Rd.
Chaffee, NY 14030
(716) 868-0883
http://www.alpacanation.com/gemstonealpacas.asp

Go to Top of Page

Christiane

2830 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2008 :  2:50:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, my first cria I named First Edition because I like old books and she was my first one, but my more recent ones I have started to name after ballet terms, famous ballet dancers, etc because I have been involved in ballet for over forty years and know a lot of the famous dancers. So I have Gala, who was born on my sister's big gala at the Aronoff Theater, Freddie, named after the famous dancer/choreographer, Frederick Franklin(a family friend), Mr. B, named for George Balanchine(my sister's teacher and Mr. B was the name all the dancers used for him) and then there is my black girl, Grand Jette, named for the ballet term that means a giant leap. My next girls will be named Pique, Pas de Chat, and Bourre, other ballet terms that just seem to be appropriate for these graceful, leaping creatures.

Christiane Rudolf
Tanglewood Farm
19741 Victory Lane
Fayetteville, Ohio 45118
(513) 875-3739
Go to Top of Page

JimJams

192 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2008 :  3:33:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, we have gone through flowers, sweets, alcohol and all kinds of lists!

With 227 odd crias due this year.... I'm dreading naming them all! Im still naming 06's crias!!! I just finished naming last years crias LOL.

We have had three so far, the first boy (i didnt name him) got named Premier as he was first, then the other two are Athos and Celeste and both names relate to the stud males name.

I have bad habits of coming up with really obscure names that relate to either the dam or sires name that i have to explain to people or they dont get it but its my fun! The firt 20 or so are easy to name but it gets tedious after a while, especially when the majority of them are all whites and start looking the same (and thats just to me, one of the best at recognising crias for who they are without checking ear tags!).
Go to Top of Page

Upperfarmnic

491 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2008 :  5:00:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have sort of a random theme process.

Our first cria was sired by Neptune, so we named him Triton. The mom was then bred to a male whose own dam is Andromeda, so we're sticking with the mythology theme, Perseus for a male and maybe Athena for a female.

We bought a dam last summer and the seller didn't know if she was really pregnant, or even which of his two males would had sired it. So when she had her little girl in October, she was Mystery. Mom's name is Cinnamon, and we also have her daughter Paprika, bred to a black. If Paprika has a black, it will be Pepper male or female. If she has a brown or fawn female she will be Nutmeg or Wild Ginger. I'm still pondering a masculine, light-colored spice or seasoning.

We named one cria "Ella", and if her mom delivers a grey or black female this year she might be "Cinderella", or Bella or Stella if she's lighter.

I know one breeder who goes through the alphabet each year, another who uses the same letter in the alphabet all year. Themes are fun, and naming female babies is the best.

Nicole Carter
Upper Farm Alpacas
Pownal, ME
niccarr33@msn.com
Go to Top of Page

allamericanalpacas

4245 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2008 :  6:11:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Normally, we let the cria name themselves. It was raining like crazy when Storm was born, 90 MPH Santa Ana's when Windy was born. Blade's tail reminded us of a windshield wiper when he nursed, Jackie J ran like an Olympic gold medalist.
We do have some that follow a ritual, Manda Smith delivered Maddy Smith who delivered Indy SB Smith. Indy SB Smith was born on Super Bowl Sunday, Indianapolis won.
Sonny and Cher were born on the same day, as were Zsa Zsa and Eva, Felix and Oscar, Sigfried and Roy.
We had a girl bred to Inti-Sapa, and named the cria Moon Unit Sapa.
Guess what day Gobble Turkey was born Just a nickname, she got a better given name.
Tonto Goldstein? Google it

Rick
--
Rick & Pati Horn
All American Alpacas
35215 Avenida Mañana
Murrieta, Ca. 92563
alpacanation.com/aaalpacas.asp
http://aaalpacas.com/updates.html
Go to Top of Page

cyburham

539 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2008 :  10:34:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit cyburham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We tend to name ours with what fits. Last year we had Siete because she had a mark that looked like a number 7 across her face. Cowboy had these long skinny legs and a strut when he was born. He was all black with white boots. Lilly because she was so white and beautiful. Firecracker was born on the night they had the fireworks. Shockwave was named because his mom had him right on top of the hotwire on the bottom of the fence. Luckily we were there but he had quite the welcome. The hotwire was never turned back on after that. Nina because she was really small when she arrived. Tia & Tamera because they looked almost identical and arrived within minutes of each other. There are more but you get the idea.

Cindy Burningham
Mountain Top Alpacas
7586 West Mountain Top Road
Herriman,Utah 84096
801 254-5627
cyburham@comcast.net
www.mountaintopalpacas.com
http://www.alpacanation.com/mountaintop.asp

Go to Top of Page

mcdiamond45

90 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2008 :  05:35:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit mcdiamond45's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We name our crias based on the theme of the farm Suncrest Orchard Alpacas. Each new cria is named after a variety of peach. Klondike White, Summerset, Elegant Lady.

Cindy McDermott
Suncrest Orchard Alpacas, LLC
Palisade, Co
Go to Top of Page

Heidi Christensen

4211 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2008 :  10:20:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Heidi Christensen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by richbye

... My daughter has "helped" me pick out a name. She keeps wanting to name one like "Bob" or "Tom". I think "Alpaca Bob" is already taken though

I know one farm that names their cria after operas, another after Star Trek (through the generations).

Have fun!

Jeanne

Gemstone Alpacas, Inc.
11300 Savage Rd.
Chaffee, NY 14030
(716) 868-0883

My girls like to do that too. So I do what we do in the dog world -they have a registered name and a "call" name .

I like to look at the names of the parents, and try to incorporate them in. I have a girl named Roxanne, so name her offspring after Police songs, and their call names are Sting and Andy. I keep telling her I don't want another male - I don't want a Stewart. My original girl had a male cria at side who was named Benny when I got them, so of course I had to name the other male cria born that year Bjorn. I like the musical themes, but also have a girl named Cinnamon - spice related names for her crias are running out.

I also keep a list of names on the computer. When I hear something I like, I will add it to the list.

Heidi Christensen
WingNut Farm
Graham, Wa
(253) 846-2168
http://alpacanation.com/wingnutfarm.asp
http://wingnut-alpacas.com
Go to Top of Page

Smith Krekk

94 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2008 :  11:26:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Smith Krekk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We use song titles for naming our crias. I love it.

My husband comes home from work with pieces of wood or sheet rock with "alpaca names" on it (he is a carpenter). Our latest name is "In-A-GaDa-Vida" short name "Vito".

My 4 year old, wanted to name one David Bowie (how she knew that name is a mystery--my Bowie years are a distant memory), so we went with "Starman".

We had a party and had a naming pool. It was a great idea, we got a ton of names. The winners were "Mack the Knife" and "Sussudio".

My husband would love it if when you pull up an alpacas AN page that the song starts playing in the background. I think there may be an infringement or two if we did that. I do have links to the youtube video clips on each alpacas page.

For Christmas, we gave our 5 year old twin daughters mp3 players with all of our "alpaca names" recorded on it. What a riot to hear a 5 year old singing---"OH-- Black Betty--Ram a Lam"

Karen & Ron Smith
Smith KREKK Alpacas
Bangor, PA 18013

www.gotalpacas2.com
610-588-5510 Farm
908-619-5010 Cell

Go to Top of Page

allamericanalpacas

4245 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2008 :  11:48:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Smith Krekk

We use song titles for naming our crias. I love it.
My husband would love it if when you pull up an alpacas AN page that the song starts playing in the background.

I'd imagine that there is a web geek "somewhere" that might have a song that plays when you open a page, provided that the alpaca was named after a song
http://alpacanation.com/herdsires/03_viewherdsire.asp?name=26065

Rick
--
Rick & Pati Horn
All American Alpacas
35215 Avenida Mañana
Murrieta, Ca. 92563
Go to Top of Page

Smith Krekk

94 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2008 :  1:05:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Smith Krekk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
I'd imagine that there is a web geek "somewhere" that might have a song that plays when you open a page, provided that the alpaca was named after a song

I don't really need the cute little bar thing. Although it is VERY COOL, and I would love to have that.

I just want someone to be able to click the title of the song and then get taken to the youtube video clip.

If a computer geek would be willing to give me the specifics--I am a very good copy cat.

Karen & Ron Smith
Smith KREKK Alpacas
Bangor, PA 18013

www.gotalpacas2.com
610-588-5510 Farm
908-619-5010 Cell

Go to Top of Page

allamericanalpacas

4245 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2008 :  3:16:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gotcha!
Here's an example:
(a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yzd1vQ4Zlvs")(font color="#0066FF")YouTube Video of "Sugar Sugar" by the Archies(/font)(/a)

You need to change ( and) to < and >

I changed them to parentheses here so it would display properly

Rick
--
Rick & Pati Horn
All American Alpacas
35215 Avenida Mañana
Murrieta, Ca. 92563

Edited by - allamericanalpacas on 03/28/2008 3:17:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

Smith Krekk

94 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2008 :  3:34:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Smith Krekk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
TAH DAH

http://alpacanation.com/alpacasforsale/03_viewalpaca.asp?name=79117

Told you I was a good copy cat.

Who thought up that code stuff??? Didn't they have anything better to do???

THANK YOU VERY MUCH. I know what I will be doing after dinner.....

Karen & Ron Smith
Smith KREKK Alpacas
Bangor, PA 18013

www.gotalpacas2.com
610-588-5510 Farm
908-619-5010 Cell

Go to Top of Page

llamapelli

1401 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2008 :  09:29:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit llamapelli's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a friend who has lots of babies to name. Each year is a different theme (Chinese name year was horrible--all sorts of completely unpronouncable names!) then goes through the alphabet. First baby's name starts with A, next B, and so on. We are more like Ann. I keep a long list, and we use almost none of them. Then we debate them endlessly. This year I just told my hubby what we were naming my Neruda boy when he was still wet: Basoalto, which was Pablo Neruda's real surname. I love searching for names on Wikipedia. This was one of our more historic name debates:

Michael: How about Tau Ceti?

Melanie: Taos Eddie, what kind of name is that?!

Michael: Not Taos Eddie, you goober...Tau Ceti. It's a star.

Melanie: No one would understand the name except geeks like you.

Michael: Yeah, it would be fun.

What did we end up naming him? Taos Eddie.

Melanie McMurry
Anasazi Alpacas & Kokopelli Llamas
Gladesville, WV
304-864-5210
Go to Top of Page

kilblaanfarm

132 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2008 :  6:11:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In 10 years we've run through quite a few themes for names. Last year we did country and western singers. Old ones, though, not Faith Hill or Garth Brooks. We have Patsy Cline, Loretta Lynn, Tammy Wynette, Tex Ritter, Haggard, Reba, Roy Acuff, etc.
Sometimes others are not amused by your choices. Las year we sold two girls whose new owner paid the $100 to change their names.
I like the idea of the party and name drawing. LizM
Go to Top of Page

richbye

750 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  2:44:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit richbye's Homepage  Send richbye a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
One show announcer said that the names some people come up with are simply impossible to pronounce.....making the announcer sound like an idiot trying to say the name.
If I can't say it, then I'm not using it as a name!

Jeanne

Gemstone Alpacas, Inc.
11300 Savage Rd.
Chaffee, NY 14030
(716) 868-0883

Go to Top of Page

mythic

888 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2008 :  11:08:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit mythic's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Jeanne,

I agree with the pronunciation thing - poor announcers...

We first had trouble with a very nice boy who had the misfortune to belong to people that thought too hard about naming - yours truly. He was a Compadre son, so we named him Mythic's Companero Velludo (spanish for fuzzy friend - call name is Mr. Fuzzy.) Always amusing to hear the pause before the announcer tried to get their tongues around that one.

Haven't gotten much better - we name our crias names related to mythology and the theme of the year. Two years ago we had heavenly places and had Valhalla, Aaru, Tir na nOg, and Elysium. Last year's was wisdom, so we had Athena, Vitirus, Oracle, and Gift of the Magi (from the Wise Men - he was born just before Christmas. We call him Caspar as Malchior is just too much of a mouthful!) Haven't decided on a theme for this year, but all our crias are due in late summer and fall so we have a little time... Still working on the taxes after all!

Joanna

Ryan & Joanna Maas
Mythic Alpacas
Goode, VA

Edited by - mythic on 04/02/2008 11:14:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

Heidi Christensen

4211 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2008 :  01:31:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Heidi Christensen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There is a way around the pronounciation problems. I remember many years ago going to a horse show. It was a Paso Fino, Peruvian Paso and Icelandic horse show, and the announcer was a friend of the steward, who was the person I got my horses from. It wasn't as big as some alpaca shows, but we had a couple hundred horses there. The announcer met with the steward, who in turn made sure that the names were all "correct". Would it not be possible for the owner to make sure the steward or someone gives the announcer the proper pronounciation?

Heidi Christensen
WingNut Farm
Graham, Wa
(253) 846-2168
http://alpacanation.com/wingnutfarm.asp
http://wingnut-alpacas.com
Go to Top of Page

jillmcm

3204 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2008 :  06:09:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit jillmcm's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't know that the owners are really picking unpronounceable names - I have heard some announcers repeatedly mangle plenty that were pretty simple. I think some announcers are just better than others. I do think it would help them to know Spanish as a prerequisite for announcing, though, since so many alpaca names are of Spanish derivation.

Jill McElderry-Maxwell
Bag End Suri Alpacas of Maine - ¡BESAME!
Benton, ME
(207) 453-0109
http://www.alpacanation.com/bagendsuri.asp
Go to Top of Page

mythic

888 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2008 :  08:51:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit mythic's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm with Jill. I did some announcing at CABO, and I really didn't have a hard time. I know Spanish in passing, enough to get me around Peru, so I could at least recognize and pronounce them even if I don't know what it means. It's the "other language" names that I'm sure I mangled. There were a few people that came up to the table to tell us how their alpaca's name was pronounced which was appreciated. With a last name like Maas and a farm name that a good quarter of the people say "Mystic" when they read it, we're well aware of how irritating it can be.

Ryan

Ryan & Joanna Maas
Mythic Alpacas
Goode, VA
Go to Top of Page

Margie

50 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2008 :  10:59:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Margie's Homepage  Send Margie an AOL message  Send Margie a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Since I'm just getting started I've only had one cria to name who was born last year. Since I had a couple of months from the time of purchase of his dam I wasn't really concerned about what to name him. But as the time approached I was a bit puzzled as to why I had not decided on something yet. Then the day he was born... it just came to me... without even seeing him. I started his name off with that of his sire and named him Americano's Dreamweaver, because he is our first and will help us weave this Alpaca Dream ! His call name is "DW".

My second one is due in May and I haven't a clue. I have a journal book that I started writing ideas down in. One idea I have is to name them after family members or their hobbies or something about them. Like I have a brother in law who is a fire chief and a sister who was a teacher. I'm sure I'll have plenty of time to figure it all out. I've also got some ideas from old songs. When something hits me ... I put it in my journal.

Margie
Barnett's Creek Farm
http://www.barnettscreekfarm.com
A future Alpaca Place
Coming soon to South Central Kentucky
Go to Top of Page

llamapelli

1401 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2008 :  11:35:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit llamapelli's Homepage  Reply with Quote
With all the years of having llama and alpaca babies, I have named exactly 2 before they were born: My latest, Basoalto, and my champion llama stud Salsa's Red Hot Chili Pepper (thank goodness he came out red!!) Pepper's name turned out to be a bounty, so I'm hoping the same for Basoalto. Most of the time I just let them "tell" me their names. If I stare at them long enough, a name usually comes. One exception: one of my husband's poker buddies paid him to name a llama baby after him--Big Rich. He turned out to be the smallest boy on the farm, and when we gelded him discovered he had the smallest pair of...well, you get the idea. I've never let the human Big Rich live it down!!

Melanie McMurry
Anasazi Alpacas & Kokopelli Llamas
Gladesville, WV
304-864-5210
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,899 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!