Breeder's Social (Off-topic)
 Who'll stop the rain?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

jillmcm

3204 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2009 :  09:12:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit jillmcm's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have had it with the rain. We have had 1-1/2 days of sun in I don't know how long, with no possibility of more until Thursday at the earliest. Everything is damp and/or wet, even inside the barns, thanks to the mist and the winds that keep changing direction. The fields are lakes. I worry about foot rot, I know coccidia is starting to be an issue, and now I have some kind of fever going through the younger herd members. It may or not have anything to do with the weather, but the wet can't help. AUGH - just had to vent...

Jill McElderry-Maxwell
Bag End Suri Alpacas of Maine - ¡BESAME!
Benton, ME
(207) 453-0109
bagendsuris@roadrunner.com
http://www.alpacanation.com/bagendsuri.asp

Heidi Christensen

4211 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2009 :  09:38:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Heidi Christensen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Jill,

I know exactly how you feel. But, we just tied a "dry record" of 29 days of no rain for May/June, which was pretty nice. The joke around here is that we have two seasons - winter and the 5th of July so its nice to get a little summer. Of course we are back to rain this weekend.

Heidi Christensen
WingNut Farm
Graham, Wa
(253) 846-2168
http://alpacanation.com/wingnutfarm.asp
http://wingnut-alpacas.com
Go to Top of Page

meadowsong

310 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2009 :  11:09:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know what you mean! We want (need) to put up a new barn this year and it has been so rainy that the excavator can't get in to do the foundation. And we have had the kind of rain that is so heavy it is flooding out roads and farmed fields that aren't usually flooded. I have been following the Farmers Almanac for the past few years just to see how accurate it really is for weather. Surprisingly, they have been forecating pretty consistant with what has happened weatherwise. Unfortunately, they have predicted a wet YEAR for us and for you too Jill.

Diane Pedrotte
Meadowsong Alpacas
Capac, MI
Go to Top of Page

slredmond

384 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2009 :  11:26:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit slredmond's Homepage  Reply with Quote
And, trying to get hay up has been a pain in the backside!

Sandy

Kevin, Sandy and Caitlin Redmond
Walnut Point Alpacas
Marshall, MI
info@walnutpointalpacas.com
www.alpacanation.com/walnutpoint.asp
Go to Top of Page

llamapelli

1401 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2009 :  2:14:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit llamapelli's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike Carabajal's head is going to explode when he reads this. Terrible drought down his way. I'm not allowed to use the R word around him. I just tell him we are having weather...day after day...more weather...I'm sick of it, too!

Melanie McMurry MD
Anasazi Alpacas & Kokopelli Llamas
Gladesville, WV
304-864-5210
http://www.alpacanation.com/anasazialpacas.asp
Go to Top of Page

jillmcm

3204 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2009 :  2:17:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit jillmcm's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Melanie, if I knew any way to send the 3" we got dumped on us yesterday down to Texas, I would do it! That way there might be room for the rest of the week's forecast. And I can't even complain too loudly - an hour south of us got between 4-5". Right, Laila?

Jill McElderry-Maxwell
Bag End Suri Alpacas of Maine - ¡BESAME!
Benton, ME
(207) 453-0109
bagendsuris@roadrunner.com
http://www.alpacanation.com/bagendsuri.asp
Go to Top of Page

tortkid43

598 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2009 :  2:32:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit tortkid43's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well at least I can say I have friends who live where it does still "Rain"!! We drove to Houston yesterday for the day and there were caravans of trucks with Hay headed towards the central Texas region to sell...The farms around us have not been able to grow enough hay to bale because of the (as they call it) Exceptional Drought we are in. Our big Lake is 24ft below normal and I was emailing with Laila Jill and she was telling me bout all your rain...She has promised some sort of Dance to send the next wave down our way...So we shall see...Since Mel won't send any down our way!

Mike

Mike and Maggie Carabajal
Rancho De La Luz Alpacas
Elgin, Tx
www.alpacanation.com/ranchodelaluzalpacas.asp
Go to Top of Page

bobvicki

2967 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2009 :  2:38:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We don't get rain here in Iowa lately, it seems every time it is supposed to rain some one dumps large amounts of water from the sky in short periods of time. Then there is so much water on the ground that even the well drained slopes can't drain it off. It would really be nice if Texas got some of it!

Bob

Bob & Vicki Blodgett
Suri Land Alpaca Ranch
3288 Halter Avenue
Newton, Iowa 50208
641-831-3576
alpaca@iowatelecom.net
www.alpacanation.com/suriland.asp
Go to Top of Page

kipaca

769 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2009 :  3:35:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit kipaca's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Hey Jill....I kinda promised Mike I'd use my 'magic' powers to push the jet stream towards Texas with the next batch of wet weather ....since I can't find a way to send him the f&%$(#*g 5" we got on Friday!!

Anybody know how we can organize a 'Rain dance'?......We need representatives from all the states that are 'over watered'!

Laila

Laila V Roukounakis
Graceland Alpaca Farm
Lisbon Falls, Maine
207-353-2171
info@gracelandfarm.com
www.alpacanation.com/graceland.asp
Go to Top of Page

chf1752

115 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2009 :  4:48:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know you've gotten a lot of rain, when your walk up to the barn (across driveway & pasture) feels like you're walking through a swamp. The ground is just so SATURATED.

One of my concerns here is m-worm, since there seems to be an explosion in our slug population. Been seeing a TON of them in our dirt & gravel driveway.

We have a big field that we'd like to turn into pasture, but its way too wet to get the tractor up there.

66 degrees is quite nice usually, but not when you have over 90% humidity!

Cloud Hollow Farm
Waldoboro, ME
Green Design, Bamboo & Alpacas
Go to Top of Page

Upperfarmnic

491 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2009 :  11:47:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm getting worried about what the 2nd crop of hay is going to be like. Most of the 1st crop has been pounded down and is going by and there's been hardly anyone mowing.

I'm surprised what good sports the females are being about this weather, as they are real cupcakes about rain and they have rather tight quarters.

I haven't seen many slugs in or out of the pasture, the chickens are earning their keep. But we're not skipping first/last month dams on their ivermec this year.

We have marine clay soil on hill terrain. The animals slip their way up and down and the grass isn't recovering. It's beyond ridiculous.

Nicole Carter
Upper Farm Alpacas
Pownal, ME
niccarr33@msn.com
Go to Top of Page

chf1752

115 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2009 :  6:03:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know it really is very wet when....... you have slugs CLIMBING your house! Saw 2 on the windows.

Ick.

Cloud Hollow Farm
Waldoboro, ME
Go to Top of Page

Upperfarmnic

491 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2009 :  6:07:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know you're about to have a rain induced melt down when the fence installer shows up and drives his 1-ton onto the lowest, wettest part of your clay pasture. Why would anyone do that? I thought quite well of him until today!

Nicole Carter
Upper Farm Alpacas
Pownal, ME
niccarr33@msn.com
Go to Top of Page

Heidi Christensen

4211 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2009 :  11:43:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Heidi Christensen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chf1752

You know it really is very wet when....... you have slugs CLIMBING your house! Saw 2 on the windows.

Ick.

Cloud Hollow Farm
Waldoboro, ME

Oh, that happens all the time around here. They are very gross - can't wait until my ducks get big enough to let loose in the yard. I'll trade duck poop for slug slime any day!

Heidi Christensen
WingNut Farm
Graham, Wa
(253) 846-2168
http://alpacanation.com/wingnutfarm.asp
http://wingnut-alpacas.com
Go to Top of Page

kipaca

769 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2009 :  07:01:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit kipaca's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Heidi,

The good thing (if there is one) about slugs out you way, is that they do not carry M-worm that can infect your alpacas... For us, they are more than just gross...they can be deadly!

With all the rain her lately...I am considering ducks.....but 'frozen ducky doo' is is the worst.....

Laila

Laila V Roukounakis
Graceland Alpaca Farm
Lisbon Falls, Maine
207-353-2171
info@gracelandfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

WillowTan

592 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2009 :  1:14:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit WillowTan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Worse than alpaca poop soup?

Tana L. Ward
WillowTan Alpacas
A Small Farm With Strong Values!
Delavan, WI 53115 http://alpacanation.com/willowtanalpacas.asp
Go to Top of Page

kipaca

769 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2009 :  3:33:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit kipaca's Homepage  Reply with Quote

About Par.....

Laila

Laila V Roukounakis
Graceland Alpaca Farm
Lisbon Falls, Maine
207-353-2171
info@gracelandfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

LL Alpacas

42 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2009 :  5:58:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's unfortunate that we can't herd our alpacas into a drier or wetter region. I was in the Pyrenees in Spain some years ago and the people would herd their sheep from the high mountains down to the lower valleys when they needed to, taking over the roads with thousands of hooves
Imagine herding alpacas down a mountain road! Oh my. I don't think most of the U.S. has the terrain for that. Not to mention dealing with the kind of road rage we'd get!

Can I trade you for some of that rain? My yellowed, fire attracting fields would love it. It's only 92 degrees out in the shade!

Wouldn't it be interesting to have a sort of pasture exchange program? Probably not feasable in reality. But a neat thought. It would require being able to transport a whole herd (needing a BIG trailer) and some farms willing to share. I'd watch your alpacas while they were here enjoying pastures, and they'd go to be cared for at your place when it's better grazing/weather there!

We can dream right? Lol.

LL Alpacas
9117 Dillard Rd.
Wilton CA 95693
(916)308-9430
Go to Top of Page

prestonspac

226 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2009 :  9:39:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit prestonspac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Worst weather I have ever seen in upstate NY. We complained last year as far as hay is concerned.......I would kill for last years weather. So far we have lost around 3k in hay and are now going to have to be perfect the rest of the year to meet our quota. Amazing that of the three weather sites I follow two called for 0% chance of rain and the third called for 5% chance of rain last night. Of course we got a 30 minute down pour on a nearly cured field of hay. Then today with the heat it actually dried and we started to bale when low and behold it rained.......not a typical rain mind you a blue sky sun out screw you rain that only fell on half the farm. Of course it hit the field we were working and we lost a couple hundred more bales of hay.........I absolutely give up. Anyone want to buy some hay equipment?

Tim

Prestons Alpacas
Worcester NY, 12197
607-397-8051
http://www.alpacanation.com/farmsandbreeders/03_viewfarm.asp?name=13490
Go to Top of Page

chf1752

115 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2009 :  10:15:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At this point, I can't wait for winter. Subzero temps, wind, snow & ice.

Definitely getting duckies for next year.

Cloud Hollow Farm
Waldoboro, ME
Go to Top of Page

DarleneG

649 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  08:03:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah,Jill,a Creedence Clearwater Revival fan! You can send the rain our way, I fear we are in one of these large Omega Block weather patterns common for the Midwest,AGAIN!

Ed Geiser

Earthcare Suri Alpacas
Ed Geiser
146 N. Honey Lake Rd.
Burlington, WI 53105
262-534-4091
earthcare@wi.rr.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,697 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!