All Forums
 Alpaca Discussion Forums
 6. Farm Facilities & Equipment
 Replacing barrel fan motor
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jillmcm

3204 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2013 :  4:07:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit jillmcm's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Anyone out there ever replace the motor in one of the big barrel fans (mine are from TSC)? I haven't had any luck finding a replacement motor by going through TSC or the manufacturer, so I wondered if anyone more mechanically minded than myself had - and where you got the motor from.

Jill McElderry-Maxwell
Bag End Suri Alpacas of Maine - ¡BESAME!
Pittsfield, ME
(207) 660-5276 (cell)
bagendsuris@roadrunner.com
http://www.bagendsuris.com

bobvicki

2967 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2013 :  4:30:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jill,

I replaced a motor on a barrel fan I bought at Sam's Club years ago when it failed and was under warranty. The company sent me a free replacement motor.

I had another go bad while we were still up in Iowa and I took it to a electrical repair place that was recommended. The cost of the motor was in the $200 price range (+ the work)and that was about what I could find on-line for replacement motors. Since you can still buy the fans at Sam's Club for about $229-$239 I elected to strip parts such as the belt and switches and cord for future repair use and bought a new fan.

I suppose you could put a hand crank on it and spend a lot of time with your alpacas, or put a wire runway connecting the tips of the blades together and put a couple of hamsters or a squirrel in it to make it run. Another idea would be if you are a spinner to connect it to your spinning wheel and keep your alpacas cool while you spin lots and lots of cool yard. LOL

Bob

Bob & Vicki Blodgett
Suri Land Alpaca Ranch
10371 N 2210 Road
Clinton, Oklahoma 73601
641-831-3576
alpaca@htswireless.com
www.alpacanation.com/suriland.asp

Edited by - bobvicki on 07/07/2013 4:36:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

Christiane

2830 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2013 :  10:54:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By the time you spend money for the motor and work, you will wind up spending more than if you bought a new one. Sam's Club has some that are better priced than the ones at TSC. I have found TSC to be more expensive on a lot of things. I got a Rubber Maid wheelbarrow at Home Depot for $150 while TSC had the same thing priced 38 bucks higher.

Christiane Rudolf
Tanglewood Farm
19741 Victory Lane
Fayetteville, Ohio 45118
(513) 875-2533
Go to Top of Page

jillmcm

3204 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2013 :  06:43:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit jillmcm's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I kind of suspected it would't be worth replacing the motor, but it is frustrating nonetheless. Why can't we build things that last more than a few years?

Jill McElderry-Maxwell
Bag End Suri Alpacas of Maine - ¡BESAME!
Pittsfield, ME
(207) 660-5276 (cell)
bagendsuris@roadrunner.com
http://www.bagendsuris.com
Go to Top of Page

Judith

4103 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2013 :  07:41:22 AM  Show Profile  Send Judith a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
My pet peeve too -- nobody repairs anything any more. Replacement parts cost more than original items. We just have to buy new ones. It's one reason why I'll never own a tractor. I just know I'll still be making payments on it and it'll be sitting broken and unuseable within 6 months of purchase.

Judith Korff
AlpacaNation Forum Co-Moderator
LadySong Farm Bolivian Suri Alpacas
Randolph, NY 14772
Cell: (716) 499-0383
www.alpacanation.com/ladysong.asp
Go to Top of Page

Shadowberry

165 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2013 :  10:01:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shadowberry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My husband replaced the motor on one of our barrel fans that were purchased from TSC. He contacted the manufacturer and ordered from them. We have also replaced several switches on these fans.

I like the smaller fans better than the large barrel ones. Easier to move out to the overhang area when the girls are on stall lockout due to messing inside.

We are now using the smaller fans at the entrance to each stall and the large fans to generate air flow in the center aisle.

Shadowberry Farm Alpacas
Tom and Nancy Imphong
Carlisle, PA 17015
717-795-8045 - Home
717-440-1440 - Cell
shadowberry@verizon.net
www.shadowberryfarmalpacas.com
Go to Top of Page

MH9022

58 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2013 :  08:40:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you remember how much the motors were that you ordered? Was it cost effective? I have 2 that have quit working. I just can't bring myself to buy new ones that will only last a year or so. I bought big belt driven homemade ones made from exhaust fans.

Marcia

Marcia Fish
Alpacas at Orchard Hill Farm
785 986-6733
jmfish@centurylink.net
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,854 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!