Alpaca Discussion Forums
 3. Birthing & Neonatal Care
 Dealing with waiting
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

baharcourt

26 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2013 :  9:59:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So how does everyone deal with the stresses of waiting on births? I have one girl on day 357 and another on 353 and I guess I am being very impatient!

Ben & Angela Harcourt
ShadowAcres
Roundup, MT

sylvesterranch

41 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2013 :  10:49:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Binoculars, a glass of wine (oops, I meant a BOTTLE of wine)......and lots and lots of patience!! Good luck!

Jeannie Sylvester
Sylvester Ranch Alpacas
Burleson, Texas
www.sylvesterranchalpacas.com
Go to Top of Page

baharcourt

26 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2013 :  12:54:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately there are trees in my line of sight, so I actually have to walk out there....Walking and drinking don't go together well for me!!!

Ben & Angela Harcourt
ShadowAcres
Roundup, MT
Go to Top of Page

mitchellj

33 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2013 :  07:01:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning, the patience of waiting for crias is something I do not think we can ever get used to. Just knowing your herd and your Dam should take some of the stress away as she will begin to show signs that a cria is ready to enter this world. We have completed birthing season here, 7 crias due and born, 5 females and 2 males, happy to say all healthy and making their presence known with their playing ( I love their little spitting that sounds like a cat with a fur ball), I also enjoy watching who will become the leader.

Just enjoy and continue to keep your Dam as comfortable as possible and feeling "safe", the cria is coming!

Joy Mitchell
M-R Alpacas Ranch Inc.
Wakeman OH 44889
440-759-9544
Go to Top of Page

Mara DeBoe

110 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2013 :  11:27:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there any sign of impending delivery? We got a girl this spring who was supposedly open, but not so according to our vet. She can feel the cria externally, so her guess is the girl's in the 3rd trimester, but other than that, she said it could be a week or two months.

I've seen the discussion about the tailbone ligaments - my vet said good luck with that method. She said the girl should bag up a day or two in advance (she is a well proven mom), but someone else (non-vet) said the opposite, because she is proven she will not bag up in advance. Your opinions?

Mark & Mara DeBoe
Wibotawot Farm
River Falls, WI
Go to Top of Page

baharcourt

26 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2013 :  1:11:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had also heard the theory of them bagging up for a couple day before, but my girl has been bagged up for about 2 weeks, I swear that she is going to explode. She has also failed the barometric pressure drop theory. We went from almost 100 degrees down to 73 the next day with rain and still nothing. I guess I will just wait some more. It must be a girl!

Ben & Angela Harcourt
ShadowAcres
Roundup, MT
Go to Top of Page

jillmcm

3204 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2013 :  6:26:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit jillmcm's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Every dam is different with bagging up - it doesn't really matter if they're proven or not. Some bag up early, some late, some not until after delivery. If you keep good records, you'll soon realize what each one of your females does.

Jill McElderry-Maxwell
Bag End Suri Alpacas of Maine - ¡BESAME!
Pittsfield, ME
(207) 660-5276 (cell)
bagendsuris@roadrunner.com
http://www.bagendsuris.com
Go to Top of Page

Christiane

2830 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2013 :  8:59:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My last cria went 378 days before mom decided that she had had enough. I tried all the "proven ways" that a bunch of folks had told me to do: leave the premises making sure the girls see the tail lights, drinking wine(even a case of that won't make up the female's mind) checking for the ligaments, staring for hours at her belly to see if I detect a contraction. All a total waste of time. The day she finally delivered, I had checked her every hour and since it was kind of hot, and I was very tired, I decided, after checking her at 1:30 pm that I needed a nap. Went inside, got going on a couple of things, so a half hour had passed when I decided to lie down. At that moment, for whatever reason, I decided to check her one more time and when I got to the barn, there was the cria, sitting up in front of the fan. So, you just never know. Needless to say, this took care of the tiredness. This same dam produced her last cria in five minutes, so I guess she just does not want to mess around and take her time like many do, but just pops them out. Except for the long waiting, which drove me nuts, I like those kinds of births.

Christiane Rudolf
Tanglewood Farm
19741 Victory Lane
Fayetteville, Ohio 45118
(513) 875-2533
Go to Top of Page

baharcourt

26 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2013 :  12:27:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The day our first 3 cria were born, mind you this is our first year, the 1st one we were sleeping in that day and he was born at 8:30am, decided to take a nap at 1pm and at 2:30, my mom came in and said, you have another baby. The third one decided to start having hers and she was born at 5:30pm. What a crazy day for our first time! So I guess you just never know.

Ben & Angela Harcourt
ShadowAcres
Roundup, MT
Go to Top of Page

bobvicki

2967 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2013 :  7:51:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The best way to deal with due dates without going crazy is to remember that there is a wide range of delivery days that fall inside the normal range. Then convince yourself that you are not going out to check on labor or delivery but your going out to do a chore or give a treat. That way when you find a Dam in labor or a new baby it will be a pleasant surprise! Now if we could just figure out a way to stop counting days! LOL

Bob

Bob & Vicki Blodgett
Suri Land Alpaca Ranch
10371 N 2210 Road
Clinton, Oklahoma 73601
641-831-3576
alpaca@htswireless.com
www.alpacanation.com/suriland.asp
Go to Top of Page

baharcourt

26 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2013 :  9:20:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I took a nap and it didn't work! LOL

Ben & Angela Harcourt
ShadowAcres
Roundup, MT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,854 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!