Alpaca Discussion Forums
 3. Birthing & Neonatal Care
 What a day!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

romaine

21 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2013 :  10:09:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The day started with a bloody blob on the barn floor. Then I noticed one of the pregnant girls laying on her side a bit. After three hours of watching her get up and down and lay on her side with her feet kicked out, with no pushing, I had enough. I lubed up and went in. There was no torsion. She was fully dialated and I could feel that she had not broken her water yet. I felt the baby and I thought I could make out the face and bent front legs. My hand was covered in blood also. A call to the vet confirmed that I needed to break the water and straighten out this baby. The vet was 2 hours away at that time.
So I went in again and broke the water. After a moment, I went in again with the intention of straightening out those front legs. My heart sank when I felt a butt and two folded back legs. It took three of us and plenty of muscle and manipulation but I finally got those back legs out and then quickly delivered the cria. It's a girl! I hung the baby upside down and pounded on her until she was breathing less...gurgly. Mom was
delivering the placenta and everybody was good.
Then I saw something foreign coming out of the dam and I knew it wasn't over yet. She was prolapsing her uterus! What came out was about the size of a small loaf of bread but the placenta was still intertwined with it. It took all of my strength to push against her pushing to get that uterus back in. Thank goodness my helpers were here and able to hold mom steady because I really pushed hard.
So, now we need to fill the uterus with a saline/PCN solution. By now I'm covered in blood and everything else imaginable but I run to the pharmacy to pick up loads of contact lens solution ( saline) and I put some PCN in each bottle. I must have looked frightening! My son found some IV tubing and drilled a hole into the bottom of each plastic bottle of saline and attached the tubing. Then we filled her uterus with the solution. She stopped pushing after I put the uterus back in thankfully. Oxytocin, banamine and IM PCN are on board.
It's 10 pm and mom seems to be doing OK but we are still waiting for baby to nurse. She will walk and is alert and I have gotten a few drops from mom so I'm hoping it's just a matter of time before baby hooks up to the milk bar.
So, that's my crazy day. I'm celebrating with a glass of wine right now as I watch this beautiful little miracle in front of me. The vet never did come.

Donna Longenecker
Graystone Ridge Alpacas
Manheim, PA

Christiane

2830 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2013 :  08:24:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, you certainly deserve that wine after all that work. Good thing that you had help with her, and doesn't it make you feel good that you were able to do all that? Big Congratulations on a job well done.

Christiane Rudolf
Tanglewood Farm
19741 Victory Lane
Fayetteville, Ohio 45118
(513) 875-2533
Go to Top of Page

ard

1844 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2013 :  08:43:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! Hope everything turns out well.

Robin Alpert
Alpacas 'R Diamonds
15163 W 323rd
Paola, KS 66071
913-849-3738
www.alpacanation.com/alpacasrdiamonds.asp
Go to Top of Page

littlewing

151 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2013 :  09:27:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GADZOOKS! After this, everything else will seem like a breeze! Congrats, you are a very brave woman. I have never had or had to fix a prolapse and don't think I would have the guts... Hopefully baby will get enough colostrum and then milk so you don't have more work ahead...but wow, great job!

Amanda Schwab
Little Wing Farm
6327 Jefferson Mill Rd.
Scottsville, VA. 24590
littlewng@mac.com
#434 286 3931
www.alpacalove.com

Go to Top of Page

Judith

4103 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2013 :  09:30:40 AM  Show Profile  Send Judith a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
You're my hero! What a great job! Congratulations on the delivery and hoping everything goes smoothly going forward.

Judith Korff
AlpacaNation Forum Co-Moderator
The Pastel Paca at LadySong Farm
Randolph, NY 14772
Cell: (716) 499-0383
www.alpacanation.com/ladysong.asp
Go to Top of Page

Kate

318 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2013 :  11:54:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kate's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow, Donna!
I had one of those this year too, three different vets couldn't come... All I can say is thank God for those Neonatal Seminars!
I hope that there is milk in the bar today, and nothing else poking out...

Sending healing energy to all three of you!

Kate McKelvie
Alpacas of Sunset Fields
Glen Rock, PA

PS- mine was a girl too, and a boarder's, no less! ;-)
Go to Top of Page

rackapaca

663 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2013 :  11:55:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am going to print your posting, don't know what I would have done but you are my hero - deserve a big hug with that wine! Hope you got some sleep and that baby is nursing.

Ruthann
Racka Paca Ranch
Kila, MT
Go to Top of Page

bobvicki

2967 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2013 :  12:59:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW Donna, Impressive!

Because the cria was so gurgly you might consider giving her an anti-biotic to prevent pneumonia! After all that work an ounce of prevention might go a long way.

Bob

Bob & Vicki Blodgett
Suri Land Alpaca Ranch
10371 N 2210 Road
Clinton, Oklahoma 73601
641-831-3576
alpaca@htswireless.com
www.alpacanation.com/suriland.asp
Go to Top of Page

pawsnpaca

373 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2013 :  1:13:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Every time I read a story about a uterine prolapse I think about a story I read as a kid in one of the James Herriot "All Creatures Great and Small" books. In it, the prolapse was in a cow and the uterous was badly swollen. As I remember the story, the vet sprinkled the uterous with sugar to reduce the swelling (it pulled out the moisture), positioned the cow over a hay bale - front end on the ground, butt in the air (so gravity could help the process), put the uterous on a beer tray (to help lift it to the level of the cow's back end), reinserted it, and then used a beer bottle filled with warm water to reposition the horns of the uterous.

When I read this posting, out of curiousity I did a search on "prolapse uterous sugar" and found several postings which seemed to confirm at least the sugar part. Pretty cool, and useful knowledge to have on hand, especially if you don't see the prolapse happen and the uterous has a chance to swell enough that getting it back it would normally need vet intervention!

Lisa Cadieux
Wit's End Farm Alpacas
Rochester, NH
603-335-2831
Go to Top of Page

romaine

21 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2013 :  5:14:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update: I milked mom and gave it to a weak baby 3 times and now she is nursing on her own. I know what I did to her to get her out so she has got to be sore. I will take Bob's advise and start baby on an antibiotic, thank you.
On a side note, we didn't cry until the very end. After I got the uterus back in place, the dam stopped pushing and stopped bleeding. She immediately ran to the baby and fully checked her out. She then proceeded to come to each of us, one at a time, and kiss us all over our faces....not sniff, kiss! She was thanking us.....that's when we cried.

Donna Longenecker
Graystone Ridge Alpacas
Manheim, PA
Go to Top of Page

ard

1844 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2013 :  6:01:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, are you going for crying across the US? What a wonderful story. Glad things are going well.

Robin Alpert
Alpacas 'R Diamonds
15163 W 323rd
Paola, KS 66071
913-849-3738
www.alpacanation.com/alpacasrdiamonds.asp
Go to Top of Page

Kate

318 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2013 :  12:59:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kate's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I love it when there is such understanding and communication between species! That makes it all so rewarding :-)

Thank so much for sharing,

Kate
Alpacas of Sunset Fields
Glen Rock, PA
Www.alpacanation.com/sunsetfields.asp
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,855 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!