Alpaca Discussion Forums
 6. Farm Facilities & Equipment
 doggei door in fence
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jane Ferris

67 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2013 :  12:20:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone have any experience or information on putting a doggie door in a 5 foot high no climb fence so the guard dog can get between pastures?

The Angel and The Albatross Alpaca Farm

Jane Ferris

Mara DeBoe

110 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2013 :  1:47:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've seen it done where a frame for the door was made out of 2x4s and the fence was stapled to the frame. Door mounted on frame. Keep the bottom strand of the fence intact so that you maintain the tension in the fence.

Mark & Mara DeBoe
Wibotawot Farm
River Falls, WI
Go to Top of Page

Jane Ferris

67 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2013 :  1:57:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Mark and Mara for your reply!

Jane Ferris
Go to Top of Page

vintagealpacas

701 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2013 :  9:38:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit vintagealpacas's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We did all our doggie doors with angle iron, welded onto the chain link fencing. Then we use an old mudflap, or piece of rigid plastic, just tied to the frame as the moveable door. Works well, but sometimes smart alpacas can get through.

Kimberly Rassi
Vintage Alpacas
alpacanation.asp/vintage
Go to Top of Page

KT

639 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2013 :  06:25:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit KT's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What worked for my dog was to hang the interior gates a higher than you would with an exterior gate. The dog can just slip under them. I preferred that than reducing the integrity of the fence and also having to worry about any random pokey pieces of wire.

Kate

Beech Springs Alpacas
126 Arthur Majette Rd
Aulander, NC 27805
252-332-5642
252-333-9457 (c)
Go to Top of Page

joeykatp

318 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2013 :  11:05:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit joeykatp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Be careful about hanging them high. I have a full grown male alpaca that loves to sneak under gates. I have some horse panels outside my compound when I let the boys graze in a section of my back yard. In about an hour I find him tromping around the unfenced portion of my yard wondering why he's not with the herd. I guess he thinks the grass is always greener on the other side!

Kathy Paternoster
Our Father's Farm
New Hampton, NY
(845)374-7712
http://ourfathersfarm.net
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,856 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!