Alpaca Discussion Forums
 1. Alpacas 101: Getting Started
 Newbie..Dry Lot
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AlpacaLover27

14 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2013 :  3:44:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all! I just signed up here, and I am honored and excited to be able to learn from you guys and all your years of exspirence! I love alpacas, and am in the process of saving up to get my own! So for now I am doing alot of research. So far, I've decide to keep 2-3(they'd be pets, and I love spinning fiber, so thats a bonus!) on dry lot. I live in MN, and we have ALOT of white-tailed deer around our house. We see at least one everday, so I've decided its best to do dry lot. So here's my question, whats the minimum amount of space I need for a dry lot pen for 2-3 geldings? I couldn't find an answer anywhere else, so I appreciate your opinions. Thanks everyone!

Edited by - AlpacaLover27 on 11/22/2013 12:12:59 PM

alpacastarr

688 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2013 :  4:44:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit alpacastarr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I feel like it ought to be at least 100' in one direction so they can run and stretch their legs a little. If you have 100x100, that's about 1/4 acre. They would be fine in smaller since you will be feeding them hay but I just like to see them have enough room to run and pronk if they feel like it.

I'm so glad you are asking questions like this, it's good one!

Starr
Venezia Dream Farm
Candler, NC
http://alpacanation.com/farmsandbreeders/03_viewfarm.asp?name=11404
http://www.veneziadream.com/
Go to Top of Page

bobvicki

2967 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2013 :  6:10:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you wanting to dry lot because of the possibility of Menegial Worm and don't want to have to do monthly shot? I think you will have to do them anyway! If that's the case then you should use your available pasture and just do the shots monthly.

Bob

Bob & Vicki Blodgett
Suri Land Alpaca Ranch
10371 N 2210 Road
Clinton, Oklahoma 73601
641-831-3576
alpaca@htswireless.com
www.alpacanation.com/suriland.asp
Go to Top of Page

AlpacaLover27

14 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2013 :  10:00:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bobvicki, no, that is not at all what I was saying, sorry for the misunderstanding. I am an out and out animal lover, and am extra careful with anything concerning thier health, so I will have them vaccinated no matter what. I just feel that everything considered, its the best decision for me.
Go to Top of Page

joeykatp

318 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2013 :  10:22:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit joeykatp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello,
Alpacas LOVE to graze! I would feel bad for them if they don't have a place to root around at least 3/4 of the year. (In winter, I think everyone up north has them on dry lot because of ice concerns.) However, they also like change. I know of a farm that moves panels around to make a different "maze" for them every now and then. This is the section leading to their pasture, though. I don't think I would have the time for this, personally. But maybe you could use this info somehow if you absolutely need to have them on a small lot.
Good luck and welcome!

Kathy Paternoster
Our Father's Farm
New Hampton, NY
(845)374-7712
http://ourfathersfarm.net
Go to Top of Page

AlpacaLover27

14 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2013 :  10:47:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks alpacastarr for the measurements, and thanks joeykatp for the great idea on the maze. I think I will definately try to use that!
Go to Top of Page

vintagealpacas

701 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2013 :  8:32:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit vintagealpacas's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I also am not a fan of drylot unless it is large enough for them to run and stretch their legs. If you are that concerned, do what I did... get 8' and 10' chain link around the perimeter so the deer do NOT come into the pasture. This will reduce the liklyhood by alot, but not 100%. Dry-lot seems cruel.. the animals love to graze.

Kimberly Rassi
Vintage Alpacas
alpacanation.asp/vintage
Go to Top of Page

jillmcm

3204 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2013 :  6:58:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit jillmcm's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dry lotting confers no advantage over meningeal worm - you still need to do the shots every month, even on dry lot. If you have room for them to be on pasture, they'll prefer it. Here's some info on meningeal worm: http://www.bagendsuris.com/?page_id=269

Jill McElderry-Maxwell
Bag End Suri Alpacas of Maine - ¡BESAME!
Pittsfield, ME
(207) 660-5276 (cell)
bagendsuris@gmail.com
http://www.bagendsuris.com
Go to Top of Page

nyala

3320 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2014 :  2:36:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit nyala's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi,

If you have the land to avoid a dry lot they'd be happier on pasture and there is not adverse health consequence to keeping them on pasture. Dry lot of pasture one would have to do monthly ivermectin shots to avoid m-worm. White tail deer might not get in your dry lot but snails will for sure.

Good luck with your planning!

Ann

D. Andrew Merriwether, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Anthropology and Biology, Binghamton University
and
Ann and Andy Merriwether
Nyala Farm Alpacas,Vestal, NY
www.alpacanation.com/nyalafarm.asp
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,926 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!