All Forums
 Alpaca Discussion Forums
 6. Farm Facilities & Equipment
 Clippers for trimming topknots
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

redroofranch

270 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2014 :  7:24:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit redroofranch's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would like to purchase a set of cordless clippers for trimming topknots...not regular shearing, just to do heads and faces. Anyone have any recommendations?

Kathy

Kathy & Rick Tinkham
Red Roof Ranch Alpacas
Cadiz, KY

www.redroofranch.net
www.alpacanation.com/redroofranch.asp

(270) 206-0367

"We create our tomorrows by what we dream today."

Mary Jane

1152 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2014 :  7:41:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mary Jane's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It has been our experience that clippers tend to not work well for doing topknots. The spaces between the teeth are just not wide enough to allow the fiber to reach the cutting area. The fiber tends to just push in front of the blades. Shears work much better because the combs and cutters have wider spaces that allow the fiber to enter the cutting area. I am not aware of any cordless shears, however.
We actually use a pair of Fiskar scissors to trim and shape topknots when we shear. The alpacas appreciate the lack of noise around their heads and with the scissors we can be more precise as to how much we take off. Cheek fiber can be trimmed and shaped also.
Mary Jane

Land of Legends Alpacas
2653 Swans Road
Newark, OH 43055
(740)345-2199
www.alpacanation.com/landoflegends.asp
Go to Top of Page

redroofranch

270 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2014 :  10:48:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit redroofranch's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Mary Jane. I actually picked up a set of Wahl clippers. They did exactly what you said...teeth too close together to do any good. Took them back already. I, too have been using scissors for 10 years. My scissors just seem to dull pretty quickly, and I was thinking that maybe there was a better way. : ) I did see a set of mini-hand shears that I wondered about.

Kathy & Rick Tinkham
Red Roof Ranch Alpacas
Cadiz, KY

www.redroofranch.net
www.alpacanation.com/redroofranch.asp

(270) 206-0367

"We create our tomorrows by what we dream today."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,855 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!