All Forums
 Alpaca Discussion Forums
 6. Farm Facilities & Equipment
 My shears wont stay cool
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

christopherkearney

3 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2014 :  5:31:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit christopherkearney's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I ordered new shears last year for shearing. I couldnt even make it through one half of a side of an alpaca before they over heated. They actually started smoking. What am I doing wrong? or is it the shears? They are Professional AC Sheep Clippers.

-Christopher

Mary Jane

1152 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2014 :  7:25:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mary Jane's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Christopher,
Chances are you are tensioning the blades too tightly. Are you located near someone who is an experienced shearer who can show you how to correctly adjust them?
Best regards,
Mary Jane

Land of Legends Alpacas
2653 Swans Road
Newark, OH 43055
(740)345-2199
www.alpacanation.com/landoflegends.asp
Go to Top of Page

christopherkearney

3 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2014 :  8:36:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit christopherkearney's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I had them tensioned by someone experienced and they still don't work right.

-Christopher
Go to Top of Page

renfarms

469 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2014 :  11:38:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit renfarms's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Christopher,
Several other possibilities -
It could be that the combs & cutters you're using may not be compatible with your shears. There are some brands of combs/cutters that only function well on certain brands of shears.

Another possibility may be that there is a buildup of grit or fiber somewhere between the comb and cutter, causing friction. Make sure the surfaces inside the hollows of the teeth are free of any fiber build-up. Are the alpacas being shorn particularly dusty or sandy/gritty?

Are you using a good lubricating oil? If the viscosity is too low, it will evaporate too quickly.

What brand are they? Premier, Heiniger/Andis, Oster...? Don't know if the shearer you discussed this with is purely a sheep shearer, or whether they also shear alpacas. There is a difference in the type of sharpening required for combs/cutters than you do for sheep. Combs/cutters to be used on alpacas should be hollow ground, rather than flat ground. They need to be much sharper. Our shearer claims he can shear 7 sheep with combs/cutters that are too dull to cut any more alpacas.

No disrespect intended toward your shearer, but smoking is most often due to over-tensioning. Have you tried reducing the tension? If your shearer tensioned them someplace besides right there as shearing was taking place, it could simply be that they need a slight loosening. Even an experienced shearer may make an adjustment to the initial tensioning after making all or part of their first blow through the fleece to fine-tune the tension, either tighter or looser.

Bill and Louise Goebel
Renaissance Farms
McArthur, Ohio 45651
(740) 596-1468
renfarms@starband.net
www.alpacanation.com/renaissancefarms.asp
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,856 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!