Alpaca Discussion Forums
 4. Breeding and Genetics
 Lutalyse, it is safe for my alpaca
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

clerkmary

37 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2014 :  2:24:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a young female that got bred to her dad 2 days ago and we need to abort it. My vet who is just as new to this as we are gave us Lutalyse. But now I'm reading in my Alpaca Field Manual that it can be very dangerous and kill. What should I do.

KT

639 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2014 :  06:41:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit KT's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You might ask the vet to order you a vial of Estrumate. It is nice to be able to have on hand for those just in case times, and it isn't terribly expensive. As per the Evan's book, you need to wait a few days after conception anyway (at least 10 I think) before giving it, so you don't have to worry on the timing.

Kate

Beech Springs Alpacas
126 Arthur Majette Rd
Aulander, NC 27805
252-332-5642
252-333-9457 (c)
Go to Top of Page

clerkmary

37 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2014 :  09:33:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank u for the info. Kate. I will talk to my vet about the Estrumate. I was reading some older posts from 2-3 yrs ago and a couple people talked about an steroid eye ointment, Poly Dex. Do you know anything about this and which would be more effective and safer.
Go to Top of Page

KT

639 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2014 :  11:33:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit KT's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nope, don't know anything about that, but be aware that any cortisone based meds aren't supposed to be given to pregnant girls. What is the eye issue?

Kate

Beech Springs Alpacas
126 Arthur Majette Rd
Aulander, NC 27805
252-332-5642
252-333-9457 (c)
Go to Top of Page

Judith

4103 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2014 :  06:12:32 AM  Show Profile  Send Judith a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
There are two types of PolyDex eye ointments - one with and one without steroids. Do not use the steroidal type on alpacas.

As for aborting unwanted pregnancies, stay with Estrumate. It's safer. Note that there are two different dosages though - one for aborting a fetus (two fairly small doses on consecutive days) and one for shedding a retained CL (a single larger dose)

Judith Korff
AlpacaNation Forum Co-Moderator
The Pastel Paca at LadySong Farm
Randolph, NY 14772
Cell: (716) 499-0383
www.alpacanation.com/ladysong.asp
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,851 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!