Alpaca Discussion Forums
 9. General Alpaca Discussion
 Pooh in barn door walkway
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

clerkmary

37 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2014 :  11:16:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there a way to stop your alpacas from dropping in a certain spot? Can I pour something on that spot to make them move to another spot?

Judith

4103 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2014 :  11:28:30 AM  Show Profile  Send Judith a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
In my experience, the only way to move a poop pile is to move the gate or door it's in front of.

Judith Korff
AlpacaNation Forum Co-Moderator
The Pastel Paca at LadySong Farm
Randolph, NY 14772
Cell: (716) 499-0383
www.alpacanation.com/ladysong.asp
Go to Top of Page

bobvicki

2967 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2014 :  12:58:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes you can be successful in moving a poop pile!

It is not easy but you might be successful if you understand why they poop there. Lazy, Habit, or because they started going there because of weather.

If it is weather you will need to extend cover or something to be successful.

1st you have to lock them away from the area. Then you need to dig all the dirt in that spot out completely, down maybe a foot. You need to go at least a foot in diameter beyond the spot. Then you need to lay down some "LIME" this will help get rid of any remaining smell. "Barn Lime" is fine. Now you need to lay down completely fresh dirt that you know they haven't been pooping and peeing on. Pack it down good. If you can put a new surface to walk over on it, gravel or crushed rock, something they will be able to walk over but would prefer not to stand on. If this doesn't work do the whole thing over again.

Good luck!

Bob

Bob & Vicki Blodgett
Suri Land Alpaca Ranch
10371 N 2210 Road
Clinton, Oklahoma 73601
641-831-3576
alpaca@htswireless.com
www.alpacanation.com/suriland.asp
Go to Top of Page

clerkmary

37 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2014 :  08:13:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bob & Vicki for the info. We will try this.
Go to Top of Page

joeykatp

318 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2014 :  10:33:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit joeykatp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It is difficult to move a poop spot. Bob's right, you've got to break the habit by keeping them away from that area for a few days if possible and you must neutralize the odor. I use vinegar to deter them but it needs to be stronger than the 6% you get in food stores. It seems to work a bit better than Nature's Miracle you can buy at the big pet stores like Petsmart. Barn lime doesn't seem to work as well for me. I have mats in my barn and I think smells get absorbed into the rubber/plastic. They are not the think ones from TS, which you could try to put down over a spot once it's treated with a neutralizer. Digging out the dirt doesn't sound like fun, although it may be effective. 😞

Kathy Paternoster
Our Father's Farm
New Hampton, NY
(845)374-7712
http://ourfathersfarm.net
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,854 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!