Alpaca Discussion Forums
 4. Breeding and Genetics
 When is too late to give Estrumate
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

clerkmary

37 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2014 :  9:33:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We bred a girl to her father in error on May 28. We gave her 2 shots of Estrumate on June 8 & June 9. Today, June 29, we tried to breed her and she spit like crazy and ran from the male. Can I give her 2 more shots now. When is it too late.

Judith

4103 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2014 :  06:54:54 AM  Show Profile  Send Judith a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I think you could go ahead and redo the Estrumate now. I think you may have given the first two too soon. At that stage, the embryo was probably not implanted so it wasn't affected by the injections. I don't normally medicate until 30 days post-breeding.

Judith Korff
AlpacaNation Forum Co-Moderator
The Pastel Paca at LadySong Farm
Randolph, NY 14772
Cell: (716) 499-0383
www.alpacanation.com/ladysong.asp
Go to Top of Page

clerkmary

37 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2014 :  08:23:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Judith. I thought I had to give it as close to the ten days as possible. There is always so much to learn. I will get more today and give it today and tomorrow. Thanks alot for your help. I appreciate alpacaforum soooo much.
Go to Top of Page

clerkmary

37 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2014 :  11:18:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Judith, I went back and tried to find some old posts and seen where someone said they gave 1cc x 2 of the Estrumate. My vet only gave me 1/2 cc each. They are new at working with alpacas just like me and they looked it up and decided that we needed to go with 1/2 cc. Is this OK, or should I have them do 1 cc.
Go to Top of Page

Judith

4103 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2014 :  3:47:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Judith a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Estrumate is very weight-sensitive. You don't need much of it, so I suspect the 1/2 cc was probably right for your girl's weight (I assume you gave them the weight - or an approximate weight). If your vet looked it up in a camelid-specific guide, then they probably had it right. There's a different dose for clearing a pregnancy than the one that's used for a retained CL (I know, because I just had to give a gal one for a retained CL and I was surprised how much more was required for that than for an abortion).

If your vet is new to camelids, I'd suggest that you buy her/him a copy of Dr. Evans Field Guide as a reference book. It's worth its weight in gold; has all the doseages for various medications and situations, and lots of great information they'll need. I gave mine a copy and she uses it frequently. It is a bit pricey, but it's well worth ensuring that your vet has a pretty comprehensive guide to alpaca care.

Judith Korff
AlpacaNation Forum Co-Moderator
The Pastel Paca at LadySong Farm
Randolph, NY 14772
Cell: (716) 499-0383
www.alpacanation.com/ladysong.asp
Go to Top of Page

clerkmary

37 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2014 :  5:43:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks again for the info. Yes she is small so I think he did the right thing. Thanks for the info on the book also.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,851 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!