Alpaca Discussion Forums
 9. General Alpaca Discussion
 new charges for guard llama
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

speach

4 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2014 :  12:10:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I realize this is an alpaca forum, but I couldn't find a llama forum that was active so I'm hoping I can get some feedback here on this question.

We have a gelded llama that has been the guard llama for 3 female alpacas for several years. Long story short, we are now selling our alpacas and are down to the last 2. We are thinking of keeping our llama though, he is such a character, very friendly, and we have mini goats so are thinking he would be a good guardian for them.

My question though, is whether it's likely that he will "adopt" the goats as his new charges, after having spent the last several years with the alpacas. He lives right next door to the goats now, so they are all used to each other but have never shared the same pasture.

And the other thing I'm wondering is whether it would be better for the llama to stay with his existing alpaca family, ie will it be too much of a stress to ask him to change gears now and live with goats instead? Two of his former charges have already left, and though he was a bit anxious for a few days he seems to have adjusted fine now. But I don't want to do anything that is going to be very upsetting for him long term.

Thanks for your feedback!

ard

1844 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2014 :  09:44:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Try putting him in with the goats to see how he does. Winter is a better time to try this because of the parasite load goats often carry. Is he really attached to you? That might also be a factor.

Robin Alpert
Alpacas 'R Diamonds
15163 W 323rd
Paola, KS 66071
913-849-3738
www.alpacanation.com/alpacasrdiamonds.asp
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,854 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!