Alpaca Discussion Forums
 9. General Alpaca Discussion
 Selling Alpaca beans at Farmers Markets
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

clerkmary

37 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2015 :  5:20:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought some little bags and am planning on selling my Alpaca beans (pooh) at the local farmers market. I've read what other farms have posted about it being the best fertilizer there is and that there is no e.coli and that it's save to sell immediately. One county was excited and thinks it will sell well. The other county is telling me that I can't use the word fertilizer and I have to have it tested and I have to let it set a year and compost. I've tried to tell them that Alpaca is different than other animals, but they won't listen. I'd like to find some information about selling alpaca beans at Farmers Markets, but am not finding any. Are there other farms selling it?

tortkid43

598 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2015 :  5:53:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit tortkid43's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You might message Kim@AlpacaHome.net and maybe she can help you...She published a wonderful booklet "When you Plant Alpaca Beans" that we still pass around to any new visitors or when I go talk to garden clubs or Chambers of Commerce. Hope it helps

http://www.alpacahome.net/

Mike and Maggie Carabajal
Rancho De La Luz Alpacas
Elgin, Tx
www.alpacanation.com/ranchodelaluzalpacas.asp

Edited by - tortkid43 on 05/08/2015 5:55:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

Judith

4103 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2015 :  7:12:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Judith a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
If you're on FaceBook, there is a very informative page called Marketing Paca Poop started by Chris Reachard. Great visuals of labels, different formats for selling alpaca poop, suggestions for marketing, etc Lots of great information there.

You don't want to use any terminology that will trigger the government (your state, county or local municipality) to want to inspect or quality control your products, which is why you should not call it fertilizer, manure or any other term that could alert authorities. Your local/regional Cooperative Extension Service could probably help you figure out what would be safe, but I'd suggest you read the early posts on the MPP page on FB which is where we all worked out standards and specs for marketing.

Judith Korff
LadySong Farm
Randolph, NY 14772
Cell: (716) 499-0383
www.alpacanation.com/ladysong.asp
Go to Top of Page

clerkmary

37 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2015 :  06:38:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks alot Mike, Maggie & Judith for all the great information.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,854 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!