Alpaca Discussion Forums
 1. Alpacas 101: Getting Started
 Minerals
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MorganL

46 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2015 :  1:52:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Loose minerals like Stillwater - do you just toss some in with their grain or...? Wondering how I should be feeding it.

Morgan
Alpaca owner for 5 years now - in Vermont

Willow Glen Farm

182 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2015 :  2:16:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Willow Glen Farm's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have a hang on the fence feeder with the minerals in them. The alpacas eat as the want them. Free choice 24/7.

Mary Ianni
Willow Glen Farm
Capron, IL 61012
willowglenalpacas@yahoo.com
www.alpacanation.com/willowglen.asp
Go to Top of Page

tortkid43

598 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2015 :  5:35:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit tortkid43's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Disclaimer ---- This is how I do it down here on the poor side of the tracks....

With my herd of 60+ alpacas I mix
Approx 2 cups of Stil-Min 104
I/4 cup Fibrevive
Approx 10cups of Ground Alfalfa/Oat cubes (In the winter I mix in 2 cups of whole rolled oats)
and what I call the drippings from their grain...actually it is just the crumbs that fall from the plastic colander I shake the grain from when I fill up the grain bucket...I save these crumbs for a week or so and then mix it with the above mentioned ingredients.

I mix all these ingredients together into a dry slurry and then
I scoop at least 1/2 cup or so (maybe more) as quickly as these old feet can move least I get spit on as they get so excited knowing what I am putting in their feed buckets.....I try to do this at least twice a week....It is a HUGE treat for them...They love it and it gives them something different to taste and eat...

They have gotten to the point where if they hear me using the blender to chop up the alfalfa/oat cubes (I buy at Tractor Supply) they line up and it's a chorus of Humming from pen to pen...! Spoiled Rotten...yes they are..~!

Mike and Maggie Carabajal
Rancho De La Luz Alpacas
Elgin, Tx
www.alpacanation.com/ranchodelaluzalpacas.asp
Go to Top of Page

Judith

4103 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2015 :  5:56:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Judith a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I use the Dumor Sheep Minerals, free choice in pans on opposite ends of the barn. Dumor is inexpensive, easy to feed and they like it. I also feed alfalfa cubes but generally only in the winter. I soak them and mash them into a sort of warm mush for those that need a little extra nutrition.

Judith Korff
LadySong Farm
Randolph, NY 14772
Cell: (716) 499-0383
www.alpacanation.com/ladysong.asp
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,928 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!