Alpaca Discussion Forums
 2. Alpaca Healthcare & Nutrition
 lumpy jaw
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dianne633

37 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2015 :  08:36:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi I have got an alpaca with lumpy jaw that is what they say it is in cattle but my alpaca has a bone infection I have had the vet out a few times now we tried penicillin that didn't work then we tried excenel and then sordide and that isn't working either the vet told me that we now have to consider putting her down, that is the problem as she has a three week old cria on her and it is a hard decision I was wanting to know if any one has had this problem and how have they treated it any advice would be appreciated

Kate

318 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2015 :  09:50:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kate's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dear Dianne,
If you can't get another vet for a second opinion I would contact Dr David Anderson, DVM- he did a lot of work with jaw abscesses in camelids. I wouldn't give up on your girl. We followed a protocol that Dr Anderson recommended to my vet, and it did clear up the abscess finally. It was Nuflor, given SQ (3cc per 100#) every other day until resolution, for up to six months! We also did flushing, or warm compress with nolvasan solution. We treated three different animals with resolution for two of them- the first case that we inherited came back several times.

Dander48@ibme.utk.edu is his email.

Best of luck with your dam!
Kate McKelvie
Alpacas of Sunset Fields
Glen Rock, Pa
Www.alpacanation.com/sunsetfields.asp
Go to Top of Page

ard

1844 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2015 :  11:37:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dianne,
Kate is correct. We had a boy with a jaw infection that took almost a year to heal with all the shots, a tooth pulled, and a lot of flushing that is fine now. It would be helpful to know where you live so we could recommend a vet school close to you that might be able to help. A few years ago, I had a very sick girl who had a cria and raised her. When she got to a really poor quality of life, we did put her down, but she raised a beautiful little girl and seemed very proud to do it. Good luck.

Robin Alpert
Alpacas 'R Diamonds
15163 W 323rd
Paola, KS 66071
913-849-3738
www.alpacanation.com/alpacasrdiamonds.asp
Go to Top of Page

dianne633

37 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2015 :  08:11:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ard and Kate
Thank you for taking the time to answer my message I am at a lose I will speak to the vet about your suggestions and see what we can do, I flush it every day with salt water she got it through a grass seed she has had it for around 8 months but it keeps breaking out this is the worst it has been , and I am in Australia
Go to Top of Page

Kate

318 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2015 :  11:06:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kate's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dear Diane,
If you want to try the Nuflor,
Valleyvet.com carries Nuflor injectable for cattle for $80 U.S.
We have had great success with it long term until the condition resolves.
And feeding her softened, high calorie food, if she's losing condition due to discomfort from the abscess!
Best wishes form mom and baby,
Kate
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,856 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!