All Forums
 Alpaca Discussion Forums
 2. Alpaca Healthcare & Nutrition
 Blind Cria
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

blue

1 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2015 :  4:17:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit blue's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We had a cria born on our farm two weeks ago. Full term but small, not a first time dam. Found her early in the morning partially dry, placenta had already been passed and she was at the edge of the poop pile. Immediately picked her up to check her out and dip navel with iodine, which I did two more times throughout the day. Three days later a spot appeared in one of her eyes, it appeared to be around the cornea. Our vet was out of town and did'nt come back until she was one week old. At that time both eyes were affected, our vet said she thought that she had an infection from her umbilical and vet suggested I take her to Purdue that evening. They checked and confirmed the same, that she had gotten an infection. They thought maybe there was a little sight but called the next day and recommended that we remove both eyes, which they did. She seems to be doing well, is still at vet school, but am concerned as to what to do when I get her home. I already had a bell on the Mom but what can I do to protect her in the fields. Does anyone have any experience with anything like this?

Judith

4103 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2015 :  3:03:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Judith a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I'd start her out gradually so she learns first how to navigate Without sight, how to find her mom when she's hungry, etc. So maybe a stall or a small enclosed space in the barn for a few days, then give her more room in a small enclosed pen or yard, then a larger area, etc until she can find her way around easily and ultimately release her and the dam to be with the herd. one of the biggest hazards is blundering into an impatient adult, or running into a wall in the barn so give her lots of time to adapt, and start with small groups of companions.

Judith Korff
LadySong Farm
Randolph, NY 14772
Cell: (716) 499-0383
www.alpacanation.com/ladysong.asp
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,854 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!