Alpaca Discussion Forums
 2. Alpaca Healthcare & Nutrition
 Spots on skin
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

woodside

46 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2016 :  1:27:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a female that has had problems with mange mites on her feet and ears. We are treating her for that (Ivermectin injections and Frontline spray) and it is improving. However, when she got sheared yesterday, we discovered her belly and back were covered with spots (about the size of a nickel) of dry flakes. It looks like dandruff. I talked to the vet this morning and he was sort of puzzled. He said to give her triple dose of Safeguard for three days and treat her with Excede in case it's something like rain rot in horses. I've looked up pictures of rain rot on horses and it does not look like this at all. Has anyone ever experienced anything like it?
Carolyn
Woodside Alpacas

Carolyn Martin
Woodside Alpacas
356 W. Reliance Road
Souderton, PA 18964
215-272-7742

KT

639 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2016 :  06:16:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit KT's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Carolyn, I have a similar issue with a girl with ridiculous mite issues. Am following the same protocol with ivermectin & frontline. For the dry scaly spots I was going to try a selsun or betadine shampoo now that she is shorn, before the fiber grows back much. I can't imagine that it would hurt and it just might help. Let me know if you find a cure!

Kate

Beech Springs Alpacas
126 Arthur Majette Rd
Aulander, NC 27805
252-332-5642
252-333-9457 (c)
Go to Top of Page

woodside

46 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2016 :  07:19:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for sharing, Kate! I talked to another vet and he said pretty much the same thing except that it could also be fungal. He said to scrub the spots down and put frontline on and something for fungus as well. Yesterday I used a shampoo for dogs that has coal tar in it in case it's some other skin issue. Figured it wouldn't hurt! I also sprayed with Frontline. I thought I'd try Blu Kote as that's supposed to be helpful for fungus, but I'm still waiting for it to come in the mail. I know she'll look quite colorful, but if it helps, it's worth it. But since your girl has mite issues too, I'm wondering if it isn't the mites. Let's keep in touch! If you want to email me, my email is woodsidealpacas@live.com.
Carolyn

Carolyn Martin
Woodside Alpacas
356 W. Reliance Road
Souderton, PA 18964
215-272-7742
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,854 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!