Alpaca Discussion Forums
 9. General Alpaca Discussion
 New Owner Surprises
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author  Topic Next Topic  

GitaBooks

4 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2016 :  8:03:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't currently own any alpacas at the time, but I am interested in them and in studying more about their care should I ever get the chance to own one. With many pets it seems only experience can truly prepare you in how to deal with the animal.

I was wondering, what was the one thing that you learned once you got your alpaca that you hadn't expect from them? Could be something big or small.

Thanks. : )

Christiane

2830 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2016 :  08:49:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How smart they really are. You can teach them most things by using food(grain) as an incentive. I can move my entire herd of 14 females from one pasture to another in just under two minutes. My first night owning them, I had no clue and spent over 4 hours trying to get them into their shelter. BTW, my girls will head to the barn at the first raindrop. The boys are not nearly as sensitive to the rain.

Christiane Rudolf
Tanglewood Farm
19741 Victory Lane
Fayetteville, Ohio 45118
(513) 875-2533
Go to Top of Page

Willow Glen Farm

178 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2016 :  10:56:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Willow Glen Farm's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Surprised that they would rather not walk in snow that is more than a touch. No way are they going to plod through that stuff to go outside.

Mary Ianni
Willow Glen Farm
Capron, IL 61012
willowglenalpacas@yahoo.com
www.alpacanation.com/willowglen.asp
Go to Top of Page

tortkid43

598 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2016 :  08:38:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit tortkid43's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How Stoic they really are......Most times you can't tell if they are sick or feeling bad unless you read the signs (Poop/Pee) and or really know your animals.....Spending as much time as you can with them and getting to know them as best as possible is key to recognizing any differences in behavior or health.!

Mike and Maggie Carabajal
Rancho De La Luz Alpacas
Elgin, Tx
www.alpacanation.com/ranchodelaluzalpacas.asp
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,843 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!