Alpaca Discussion Forums
 4. Breeding and Genetics
 Llama and alpaca breeding
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jcalvitti

1 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2017 :  8:23:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just adopted a male that is 1 1/2 years old and not fixed and a female 1 1/2 old alpaca. Both have no social skills and are not halter and lead line trained. I put them in adjacent barn stalls so that they can socialized over the shallow wall. My pasture is big and I can't keep them in the barn until I can get a vet here. Can I just put them out in the pasture together? I got halters on them but read that it's safer to take them off.
I'd appreciate any advice.

Jcalvitti

renfarms

469 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2017 :  4:07:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit renfarms's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jackie,
If you put them out, it's definitely going to be safer for them to not be wearing halters. As to putting 2 animals at those ages together, it is really not certain, one way or the other as to whether they will breed or not breed, and if they breed, there is not certain, one way or another, as to whether she will become pregnant as a result.

Not sure if you're intention is to get her pregnant at this point in time or not. Male alpacas have been found to be fertile from as young as 8 months to as late as 4 years old. There is quite a bit of variability in individual animals. As to whether your female is old enough to get pregnant at 18 months, the answer is yes, she most likely can.

You don't say how large your pasture is. If they will be put together, I would urge you to oversee this and plan to be on hand for a few hours to make sure all is well, and that he is not overly chasing and harrassing her or else one or both may become injured. Also, if they do breed and conceive, you will be looking at a November birth. Are you equipped for that?

Best regards,
Bill

Bill and Louise Goebel
Renaissance Farms
McArthur, Ohio 45651
(740) 596-1468
bill@renfarmsohio.com
www.renfarmsohio.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,851 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!