Alpaca Discussion Forums
 9. General Alpaca Discussion
 injured alpaca afraid to stand
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cataract1

3 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2019 :  2:33:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a gentle castrated 6 y/o male that was attacked by his brother. There are no visible signs of injury but Buddy will not stand. The vet says there is nothing wrong physically with Buddy and he has hoisted him and he will not use his legs. He has been this way for 5 days. He is still at the vet with no one around him. He eats, drinks, pees, and poos fine and is alert and will move his head. My vet says I should put him down. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get him past his fear or has this trauma pushed him past the point of redemption? I thought about bringing him home to a stall that is surrounded by the girls. I am open to any ideas. I have to bring him home from the vet tomorrow or euthanize him. Help!

Willow Glen Farm

182 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2019 :  10:12:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Willow Glen Farm's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Has the vet checked if he is anemic? Although it does not sound neurological, thiamine is always safe to try and can't hurt.

Hard to believe it is just fear, but we always learn something new about these guys. Let us know what happens.

Mary Ianni
Willow Glen Farm
Capron, IL 61012
willowglenalpacas@yahoo.com
www.alpacanation.com/willowglen.asp
Go to Top of Page

cataract1

3 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2019 :  1:59:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My sweet boy passed away at the vet on Aug 6th. The vet had no idea why he would not stand. Unsure if vet did an Xray to see if his back was broken but just called me to come get the body. Am changing vets. I could tell vet did not believe Buddy could NOT stand on his own. I and the vet staff never saw him stand up. What a waste.
Go to Top of Page

cataract1

3 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2019 :  2:01:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Should say Aug 13th.
Go to Top of Page

Willow Glen Farm

182 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2019 :  09:54:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Willow Glen Farm's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear. It is so hard to lose any of them.

Good luck in your search for a different vet.

Mary Ianni
Willow Glen Farm
Capron, IL 61012
willowglenalpacas@yahoo.com
www.alpacanation.com/willowglen.asp
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,897 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!