The Remarkable Recovery of Alpaca Dying of Ulcers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Alpacas4Pets

7 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2019 :  12:27:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Readers,

Here is how the story just happened:
Back in June this past summer, I took my most expensive female (4 years old) down the road several miles to have her bred to a gray. This female, Sonatina by name, aka Tina, has always been super stressed whenever anyone came near her cria, and generally more easily stressed than the others I have. Just keep that in mind.
Well, she seemed to take the ride just fine, and when I arrived at the other farm she was excited to see the other animals. She seemed to fit right in and love it at this place in all its Spring beauty and lusher grass. I think she was there for 3 weeks total. And in that time my friend tried all 3 of his males with her and she would have nothing to do with them. I was only there once in between times, so didn't have enough opportunity to really observe what was going on with her. I did notice that she acted pretty lethargic, but thought maybe it was just the warmth and sunshine causing it.
Ten days later I came back and got her loaded and drove home. I thought she would be excited to get back to her real family and last year's cria. She showed no excitement whatever. I thought that was strange and so watched her for the next few days. I soon noticed that she was not eating. She would go out with the others, but just lay down all the time. Once in a great while she would pull a little grass, but not enough to keep a mouse alive. I thought that maybe she was depressed at having to leave that other farm that was more beautiful. So, I started praying that the Lord would get her back to normal. And, for the next few days she did start eating better. But then she slacked off and then

Jeff Mueller

Alpacas4Pets

7 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2019 :  12:31:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How do you edit these topics? I accidentally posted this before it got finished

Jeff Mueller
Go to Top of Page

Willow Glen Farm

182 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2019 :  10:57:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Willow Glen Farm's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Don't know how to edit, but just reply and continue story. Unfortunately, there isn't much back and forth on this site any more.

Mary Ianni
Willow Glen Farm
Capron, IL 61012
willowglenalpacas@yahoo.com
www.alpacanation.com/willowglen.asp
Go to Top of Page

Alpacas4Pets

7 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2019 :  12:29:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
(continuing from above)

...then she slacked off and then just sat all day, for weeks, slowly starving to death before my very eyes. At one point I was tempted to panic and call a vet, but I have no money for such things, and I chose to trust the Lord. I said, "Lord, if you want Sonatina to live, you will have to show me what to do to heal her. If you don't, then so be it."
Meanwhile, the first thing I did was give her a big shot of Ivermectin. Couldn't hurt. No change, of course. Then I tried some antibiotic on her. After a week of 2 shots a day, Tina was very tired of having needles shoved into her. So I stopped and waited. No results.
I got a clue one day noticing that every once in a while she would get up and stand for awhile and then lay down again, as if she couldn't get comfortable. It reminded me that she acted the same way on the short ride home from my friend's farm.
From time to time I would offer her pellets and she would just sniff them and turn away. Then I would offer her some alfalfa flakes with the same result. At some point I wondered if she could have stomach ulcers. I started thinking about all these different signs I had seen and it seemed to be pointing in that direction. So I got on AP and looked for what others did for ulcers. The few stories I read all had the same ending. The animal died. There is some expensive medicine in a paste that is formulated that is supposed to help, but I could never get a paste into her. That was another thing, she seemed to have something wrong with her tongue or mouth. She couldn't spit like normal...all the result of starving.
Throughout this terrible experience I was daily preparing myself to accept the loss and having to put her down. Something I always hated to do with the few animals I had as a boy. It seemed to go on for a long time.
One day while I was still trying to figure out this mystery, putting all the clues together, and praying all the while,I was sure it was ulcers. I then remembered an experience from 20 years ago. I had a friend in choir that came down with ulcerative colitis. Long story short, he was off work for months and the drs. didn't know what to do. At 220 lbs of mostly muscle, he had lost 40 lbs in those weeks. I got on the internet and under natural cures found that cabbage was supposed to help. So he went to the health food store, started drinking cabbage juice and healed himself. At this point I wondered if I could get Tina to eat cabbage, or somehow drink the juice. But, in my confusion, I didn't try it. Don't ask me why. So this stayed in the back of my mind for quite a while...always quietly nagging at me.
Near the end of all this, when Tina was skin and bones ( I hadn't sheared her this year so she didn't look as horrible as she really was), and almost couldn't get up and was fighting just to walk, a wonderful thing happened. I knew that it couldn't be more than 2 more days before she couldn't get up, at the rate she was going. Well, right at this time a friend gave me some kale, which I don't like. So I took it out to the herd to see if they would eat it. It so happened that Tina was in the barn and I first offered it to her. To my surprise she gobbled it up. I gave it ALL to her. At this point I had my eyes opened and finally decided to buy a head of cabbage. I also got online and found all the latest on people healing themselves by drinking cabbage juice. Even Wikihow tells you how to do it!
So I cut the cabbage into quarters and fed her torn up cabbage, a handful of pellets, in a bowlful of alfalfa flakes, along with all the good, dry grass hay she wanted, 3 times a day. She loved it. She seemed to know that cabbage was the medicine she needed. I was rejoicing for the next week as I watched her appetite come back and her mouth chewing a cud again! It was an amazing answer to prayer. Few experiences have given me more delight. I just knew I had to share this with others who needed this knowledge.
Well, she was back to normal eating after 7 heads, but I gave her 2 more just because she loves the stuff. What a simple cure! And how hard it is for us to hear when we are emotionally confused like this.

The moral of the story is: It pays to go the One who really does know it all, and wait and listen; and then act on what He tells you to do.

"He who has ears to hear, let him hear".

Jeff Mueller
Go to Top of Page

Willow Glen Farm

182 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2019 :  10:18:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Willow Glen Farm's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So glad it turned out well for you. Continue keeping an eye on her.

Mary Ianni
Willow Glen Farm
Capron, IL 61012
willowglenalpacas@yahoo.com
www.alpacanation.com/willowglen.asp
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,903 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!