Alpaca Discussion Forums
 9. General Alpaca Discussion
 worried
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author  Topic Next Topic  

lynn648

1 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2020 :  2:10:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone.. We just moved onto a farm (my son's) and we have inherited two adult Alpaca girls.. So, when the caretaker is off I have to put these girls to bed in their barn where their feed is.. trouble is.. they went in perfectly at first but for some reason are bucking the system and just will not go in and gallop away or actually gallop at me!! My question and worry is... if I left them out all night would you think they would be alright.. we do have coyotes around.. not sure how many, I've only seen one sneaking about. One actually entered the paddock and the Alpacas chased him off post hast.. I'm really worried about this and could do with some help..
Look forward to hearing from you guys..
Lynn (old lady)

lh

Kate

319 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2020 :  1:24:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kate's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Do they have a small night paddock?
Alpacas don’t really care to be shut in the barn, especially in spring or fall- even if it’s for their own good!
Most of the time they will go in the barn to eat, at least once a day. Try putting the food in the barn , then casually ignore them until they go in, and shut the barn door, if they are at risk overnight to predators.
You may have to reduce to nighttime feeding only for a week or two until they get back in the habit of going in. If so, they should have free choice hay available daily.
Finger crossed,

Kate McKelvie
Alpacas of Sunset Fields
Glen Rock, PA
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,928 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!