All Forums
 Forum Archives
 General Alpaca Discussion (Archive)
 Ivomec vs Dectomax
 Forum Locked
Author  Topic Next Topic  

farmgal

232 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2007 :  07:53:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit farmgal's Homepage  Send farmgal a Yahoo! Message
I am getting ready to deworm once again. My little herd came from Washington State where they received Panacur. I am in NC and have only dewormed them once (with my mentor's help). My mentor is a precious lady and shared her dewormer with me. She said she uses either Ivomec (not Plus), or Dectomax. We dewormed with Dectomax the last time and I am getting ready to buy some dewormer (don't want to take advantage of mentor's kindness!), and I was looking for opinions on what to buy.

Also, here is the information I obtained from a local vet, any opinions?

The information comes from Dr. Allen Cannedy at NC State Vet School. No drugs are currently approved for use in llamas (llamas, alpacas, vicunas, or guanacos) in the U.S.

He recommends vaccinating for rabies, clostridial, west nile, and encephalitis diseases. He uses Covexin-8 clostridial vaccine, ImRab rabies, and Merial West Nile and eastern/western encephalitis vaccines.

For strongyle deworming, he recommends Panacur at 20 mg/kg by mouth or Ivermectin 0.4 mg/kg under the skin. For tapeworms, he recommends Panacur at 20 mg/kg by mouth for three consecutive days.

Kim Pressley
Hendersonville, NC
phdalpacas@bellsouth.net
(828)692-1258
Novice in the field of alpacas.

The Paca Factory

592 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2007 :  09:02:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit The Paca Factory's Homepage
Kim,
A week ago we just attended a seminar which included worming and the old routine to change wormer every other time out is not holding water. It is proving to make the pest more resistant to more wormers then just staying with the same wormer. Some worms are more reactive to different types of wormer then others also. So the key is to be sure to do test to see what you are worming for. Also to be sure to give them the proper dose. Meaning plenty. The going thing around here is the fear of Meninga worm so we dose 3X the recommended for pigs of ivermecton. You really should check with your vet or the nearest facility to you make sure that is the dosing that is recommended. Different areas of the country doeses different wormers for the things that is most prevenlant in their areas. Linda

David & Linda Bradley
The Paca Factory
Durand, Mi.
989-288-3315
thepacafactory@aol.com
www.alpacanation.com/thepacafactory.asp
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,842 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!