6. Farm Facilities & Equipment
 Fodder-Pro Feed System
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

abacusfarms

26 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2013 :  4:17:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit abacusfarms's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yep, that can be done. The only caveat I see is the possibility of selling "foodstuffs" that are accidentally contaminated with things like E.Coli. I know that organic farms dig stuff out of the dirt for petes sake, and sell it and have the same chance of contamination, but for some reason there is a different perception of produce grown hydroponically.

ps...I believe that you left me a phone message yesterday, it is easier right now for me to answer e-mail, you can send to me directly at abacusfarms@gmail.com thanks!

Holly Zech
Abacus Farms

quote:
Originally posted by A.S.P.E.N.Alpacas

Hey all,
Another thing to maybe ponder is that if you don't just have to grow feed for your animals with your fodder machines. I don't know if this is as prominent in your area, but in my area of Michigan, people are paying PREMIER prices for grids of wheat grass and lemon grass for human consumption. As fodder machines don't use anything but light and chemicals, the grasses grown are organic and MANY coffee shops, health and nutrition stores and restaurants pay A LOT for these plots of wheat grass. It MAY help to offset your seed costs and operational overhead. Just something to look into. There's a couple companies on Ebay that sell wheat grass seeds with free shipping over 20 lbs.

Jacob Prell

Holly Zech
Abacus Farms
Pleasant Grove CA
Go to Top of Page

Christiane

2830 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2013 :  8:17:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't have the funds right now to start something like the Fodder Pro, but what about doing it in baby steps? I have a small plastic greenhouse--the kind that holds six trays for seeds. Could I start with something like that?
Another thing, what do you use to grow the seeds, just water? Or do you put something else into the water to make the seeds sprout and grow? Oh, and what kind of trays would you use? I could have the greenhouse in my house and put a grow lamp over it, which I have anyway.

Christiane Rudolf
Tanglewood Farm
19741 Victory Lane
Fayetteville, Ohio 45118
(513) 875-2533
Go to Top of Page

azgottlieb

20 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2013 :  11:12:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a heads up, there's some great information on the fodder system on Facebook. Just type in "Fodder" in the search and it will pull up the Fodder page that has a bunch of members with all kinds of questions and answers. Some of the members have posted videos on You Tube which is another web-site that has some great information and great videos so you can actually see the set ups and the daily routines to maintain the fodder system.
Go to Top of Page

Christiane

2830 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2013 :  9:10:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I fed my first bunch of fodder yesterday, and I guess I did not cut it up into small enough pieces. I did use a knive to cut slices of it and I put it in their grain feeders. I did not see them go for it like they do for their grain, so I sat there for a while, until I got too cold, and watched while one of my older girls kept eyeing it, but did not go up to it. When I checked this morning, a lot of it was lying on the ground among the straw. So today, I broke it up into much smaller pieces and actuall saw a couple chewing it. I guess it takes the less courageous ones a bit longer to try something new. If I find that they will eventually all eat it, I will certainly grow more. It was not hard, did not take a lot of time, and I think it will supply them with more nutrition thaan just the hay does.

Christiane Rudolf
Tanglewood Farm
19741 Victory Lane
Fayetteville, Ohio 45118
(513) 875-2533
Go to Top of Page

hubbertfarms

2 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2013 :  7:29:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit hubbertfarms's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Has any one tried using water from the house that has a softener on it?
Go to Top of Page

Christiane

2830 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2013 :  8:00:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I grew fodder last winter and saw my animals eat it, so will do it again this winter. I just used my small greeonhouse, set my trays on the four shelves and kept watering it with my shower head. Worked great because I had the little greenhouse sitting in the tub which I don't use because I have another one, also with a shower. Getting ready to set everything up tomorrow. Got 100 pounds of barley seed sitting in my garage that I got from Larry Clifton in Hillsboro. He located it for me and delivered it.

Christiane Rudolf
Tanglewood Farm
19741 Victory Lane
Fayetteville, Ohio 45118
(513) 875-2533
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,856 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!